BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SasStatistics
Pyrite | Level 9

I have so far used SAS Enterprise Guide as the "interface" when coding in SAS. 

Soon, I will go over to SAS Viya, and if I understand it correctly, by default SAS Viya is using SAS Studio? 

Will it be possible to use SAS Enterprise Guide (EG) in SAS Viya, and will this be easy/usual to do? 

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

AFAIK, SAS EG can be used with Viya versions up to 3.x. However the latest Viya version 4 or 202x.x does not support EG and SAS Studio is your only option.

In my experience transitioning from SAS EG to SAS Studio is relatively easy because the interfaces behave similarly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

AFAIK, SAS EG can be used with Viya versions up to 3.x. However the latest Viya version 4 or 202x.x does not support EG and SAS Studio is your only option.

In my experience transitioning from SAS EG to SAS Studio is relatively easy because the interfaces behave similarly. 

SasStatistics
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks @SASKiwi .

My impression is that in the future (nearby?) everyone will be pushed towards using SAS Viya, so spending time on learning specific things for SAS EG is not a good idea?

What will happen in the cases that you have old programs from SAS EG that are saved as process flows (as far as I know, SAS Studio does not have process flows)? Will it be neccessary to "resave those programs" so they are compatible with SAS Studio?

Regarding Viya, do you know if it is possible to use Python "without problems" in the sense that it is the same thing as running Python directly?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@SasStatistics  - Yes, SAS Viya is the future of SAS and users are being encouraged to transition away from SAS 9.x, the legacy platform. However SAS 9.x is still going to be around for many years and will be actively maintained until at least 2025. From what I understand SAS Studio has a tool for converting EG process flows so your investment in EG will not go to waste. The SAS language you use in EG is the same in Viya.

Open-source software like Python is better integrated in Viya and should work more seamlessly.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation