BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kleduke_ma
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

First time installation of SAS Universal Viewer on my laptop.  (Windows 10 Pro, x64 system)  I confirmed that I have the correct JRE and .NET versions installed.

Problem: SAS dataset (dm.sas7bdat) provided by contracted vendor will not open using SAS viewer.  Error: 

kleduke_ma_0-1629234782232.png

Vendor says the tables are opening fine for them (with full SAS install).

I downloaded a sample dataset from another source (alcohol.sas7bdat) and was able to open it with no problem.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

The error message says that the file is indexed, but the index is missing. SAS stores the index in a separate file. So:

Do you have a file with the extension sas7bdat and another file with the same name but extension sas7bndx?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

The version of the Universal Viewer that shipped with SAS 9.4.4 is 1.42, so I don't know what version Universal Viewer 9.2 might be. If it is the viewer that shipped with SAS 9.2 you may be having an issue related to the header information change in data files from SAS 9.3 to 9.4. One of the variables in the header was increased to record more records and unless the data sets are saved with an option to disable that larger range of values then older versions of SAS cannot read the header portion of the data set.

You might request your contractor to set:

Options EXTENDOBSCOUNTER=no;

OR use the dataset option of the same name such as:

data want (extendobscounter=no);
   set have;
run;

and recreate one of the data sets or even just a one record data set, then try opening that. If you can open the file that is the cause and all your sets from the contractor should use the option OR you need to update to a newer viewer.

kleduke_ma
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you. I see now that 9.2 is not the latest version! It was the first to come up when I searched.
I will install 9.4 and let you know if that solves my problem.
user021
Fluorite | Level 6

I had this error, and it turns out that my SAS Universal Viewer is too old. After updating to the latest version, the error is gone. This way I don't need to do anything to the dataset. But if you only have access to an old version, then this can be a solution.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

The error message says that the file is indexed, but the index is missing. SAS stores the index in a separate file. So:

Do you have a file with the extension sas7bdat and another file with the same name but extension sas7bndx?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation