BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
joeisen
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm using SAS Studio, University Edition, on my Windows 10 PC. Trying to track down an ODS PDF file I created, which wasn't showing up in the assigned shared "/folders/myfolders" location, I went looking for the SAS program files on my PC. But . . there is no SAS folder in the "Program Files" directory, or in the "Program Files (x86)" directory. And SAS is not listed in my list of installed applications in Windows 10 "System Settings". It doesn't look like there are any major program files under the "C:\SASUniversityEdition" directory. Yet, I am running it. Where is it? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS University Edition runs in virtual machine. So there is no SAS application installed in your real machine. The only application you had to install was the Virtual Machine software you are using to start SAS University Edition.

Any file you save in SAS will be in the folder you link to the virtual machine. I might be under C:\SASUniversityEdition, but it really depends on how you configured your VM.  Part of the process was to link an actual directory on your real machine to the /folders/myfolders/ directory of the VM.

Finally just because you have some SAS code in the Code Editor window of a SAS/Studio session does not mean that the code has ever been saved to any file, whether on the VM or the real machine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
The log usually includes the path where the file was created. What does your log say?
joeisen
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, thank you. It did have a complicated path that included the term "sasinside" (I can't remember the rest) and ended in the usual "/folders/myfolders/". I just restarted SAS and reran it and the path is the usual:

ODS PDF File = '/folders/myfolders/ex1010.pdf';

I  looked there in Windows File Explorer and the PDF was there!  I didn't realize it wouldn't show up in my SAS folders window for "My Folders".

I still am curious where all the program files are, though. It was a big download and install; can't believe I can't find it!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS University Edition runs in virtual machine. So there is no SAS application installed in your real machine. The only application you had to install was the Virtual Machine software you are using to start SAS University Edition.

Any file you save in SAS will be in the folder you link to the virtual machine. I might be under C:\SASUniversityEdition, but it really depends on how you configured your VM.  Part of the process was to link an actual directory on your real machine to the /folders/myfolders/ directory of the VM.

Finally just because you have some SAS code in the Code Editor window of a SAS/Studio session does not mean that the code has ever been saved to any file, whether on the VM or the real machine.

joeisen
Fluorite | Level 6

Aha. I see. The SAS application is installed on the virtual machine, which itself is installed on my actual PC. And its 5.5 GB is tucked into my personal "Users" directory instead of the "Program Files" directory. Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation