BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KaHermans
Calcite | Level 5

I want to export data from a .sas7bdat file to a .dta file (STATA extension) with the SAS University Edition.

This is my command:

proc export data=acc_2012.sas7bdat outfile= "C:\Gebruikers\KaHermans\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\acc_2012.dta"

but I received the following error: Insufficient authorization to access /opt/sasinside/SASConfig/Lev1/SASApp/

The 'myfolders' folder is a shared folder that I created in the setup process (as I use VM) so that is not the problem I guess.

Could someone help me why I get this error and how I can solve it? 

Thank you.

Karen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello Karen,

As mentioned by others previously, your 'outfile=' path is wrong (it does not exist).

You can also search / screen this communities site for the same error message (the one you encounter). Several (students) before you have stumbled upon this 'issue'.

Anyway, not only your 'outfile=' option is wrong, also the 'data=' option is wrong!

SAS expects a libname.datasetname specification after 'data=' or just datasetname if the libname equals WORK.

Once your 'outfile=' problem is solved, you will get another error, something like:

ERROR: Libref acc_2012 is not assigned.

What you need is (probably):

proc export data=work.acc_2012 outfile='<<valid path>>/acc_2012.dta; run;

Do not forget to terminate your statement with a semicolon (;) and to terminate your proc export with a 'run;' statement.

Cheers,

Koen

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Paths from University Edition start at the root of the virtual machine file paths. Not at the windows disk drive. So when you provide an invalid path SAS starts at the "where SAS is executing folder" . The folders where SAS is installed are not set up to have write access by users so you get that particular type of error related to permissions.

Try

outfile= "\folders\myfolders\acc_2012.dta"

You will have to then use system tools to navigate to where that may be.

Reeza
Super User
SAS UE doesn't have access to your C drive, you can write the data set back to the myfolders location using the file path as follows.

outfile= "/folders/myfolders/acc_2012.dta"

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello Karen,

As mentioned by others previously, your 'outfile=' path is wrong (it does not exist).

You can also search / screen this communities site for the same error message (the one you encounter). Several (students) before you have stumbled upon this 'issue'.

Anyway, not only your 'outfile=' option is wrong, also the 'data=' option is wrong!

SAS expects a libname.datasetname specification after 'data=' or just datasetname if the libname equals WORK.

Once your 'outfile=' problem is solved, you will get another error, something like:

ERROR: Libref acc_2012 is not assigned.

What you need is (probably):

proc export data=work.acc_2012 outfile='<<valid path>>/acc_2012.dta; run;

Do not forget to terminate your statement with a semicolon (;) and to terminate your proc export with a 'run;' statement.

Cheers,

Koen

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation