BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DrTodd21
Calcite | Level 5

Hi. I'm a professor in a DBA program going through SAS on Demand as our doctoral students will have to do as well. I am also rusty on statistics and programming in SAS, but there are the two delightful free resources of Intro to Statistics in SAS and Intro to Programming in SAS. I originally thought I should have them do the statistics module first followed by the programming module but now that I'm going through it, it seems I might have that backward. Any opinions or input are greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
We would definitely recommend the Programming 1 (essentials) before the Intro to Statistical Concepts or the free Statistics 1 class. The Statistics 1 class does NOT go into detail on the basics of writing a program, reading data or using basic procedures. We assume that the Statistics 1 or Intro to Statistical Concepts person will have learned those basic concepts first.

If you want more help regarding the Educator and Student resources that we have available, please send mail to the Global Academic group at: academic@sas.com and we can put you in touch with the Program Manager for your school to learn about the free resources.

Cynthia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User
Definitely do the general programming one first and then the statistical one. If you can't get your data in or the format needed, it makes it harder to analyze it well. I like to start a course with a hands on project/example that gets them excited about it somehow or shows the potential of statistics and SAS right off the bat.
DrTodd21
Calcite | Level 5
That is very helpful Reeza and kind of what I was discovering. My Ph.D. was long long ago and SPSS based, so while the statistics module wasn't stumping me too badly, it finally also became clear that the script assumed at least a low level of knowledge about syntax and such. Many of these students are scared-to-death of this aspect of their doctoral studies so anything that can excite them about the potential that they can actually do this, is a good thing!

Thanks again

Todd

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
We would definitely recommend the Programming 1 (essentials) before the Intro to Statistical Concepts or the free Statistics 1 class. The Statistics 1 class does NOT go into detail on the basics of writing a program, reading data or using basic procedures. We assume that the Statistics 1 or Intro to Statistical Concepts person will have learned those basic concepts first.

If you want more help regarding the Educator and Student resources that we have available, please send mail to the Global Academic group at: academic@sas.com and we can put you in touch with the Program Manager for your school to learn about the free resources.

Cynthia

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation