BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Calcite | Level 5
I’m conducting logistic regression using proc logistic on the sample consisting of approximately 150000 people described by 1500 variables. The analysis lasts for about 8 hours. Do you know if there is any methodical way to speed it up? Or is it rather a software/hardware problem?

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Iryna
4 REPLIES 4
Olivier
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi Iryna.
I don't think you really need all these 1500 variables to be used in the model, do you ?
So I'd rather use both SELECTION=FORWARD and STOP=50 to see which variables are the (at most) fifty best-contributing to your model, and then rerun the model with them...

Regards
Olivier
Calcite | Level 5
Are any of these 1,500 variables highly correlated? If so, you might be able to select one among a group of highly correlated variables or use a small number of principal components (from a Principal Components Analysis) for your logistic regression.
datalligence
Fluorite | Level 6
iryna, i think you don't need all 150000 records/observations either.

for example, if you are interested in variables that rate respondents' ratings of certain job attributes, you may want to use the data for employed respondents only.
Matthew_Galati
SAS Employee
Is this question related to Mathematical Optimization and Operations Research with SAS? If not, this is the wrong forum.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation