BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gupta_shubham
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I want to solve Mixed Integer Non Linear programming problem. I want to know what all options are available in SAS Proc. Optlso can solve MINLP but I am not sure how efficient and accurate it is for bigger problem with hundreds of constraint and thousands variables. 

Thanks in advance for our help. 

8 REPLIES 8
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Currently, the only direct approaches for MINLP in SAS are to use either PROC OPTLSO or the LSO solver in PROC OPTMODEL, which was just released last week with SAS Optimization 8.2 in SAS Viya 3.3.

But I have personally applied over two dozen indirect approaches that use the other solvers.  For example, some problems can be linearized, either exactly or approximately, so that you can use the MILP solver.  If you supply more details about your problem, I might be able to provide some recommendations.

gupta_shubham
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your reply. 

Solving the approximate problem in fallback solution for me. Problem involves maximizing the revenue (Demand*Price) where Price is variable and D=D0*(1-cdf(price)). I can make demand function linear but since revenue is Demand*Price therefore objective function would still be quadratic. 

Do you know how efficient and accurate is PROC OPTLSO ? Is it recommended to solve a big optimization problem with PROC OPTLSO ? 

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

The LSO documentation contains this statement in the Overview section:

"As a rule of thumb, derivative-free algorithms are rarely applied to black-box optimization problems that have more than 100 variables."

But there is no hard limit on the number of variables.

What are the integer variables in your problem?

gupta_shubham
Obsidian | Level 7

I want Demand to be integer. So D0*(1-cdf(p)) should be integer 

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Is D0 a constant or a variable?

What is the order of magnitude of demand?

What do the constraints look like?

gupta_shubham
Obsidian | Level 7

D0 is constant. Order of Magnitude is 10^2

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Do you have PROC OPTMODEL code that you can share?

baralamit0
Calcite | Level 5

What is your exact problem ?

Please share.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation