BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Alonzo
Calcite | Level 5

I am using SAS Simulation stuodio 13.2 to describe simulation model for public transportation system.

In the model we have multiple buses that serve customers to different destination (i.e. From route A will serve from JFK airport to Time Square, route B will serve from JFK airport to Penn Station, and so on).

Maximum capacity of bus is 30 and Bus is operating based on schedule time. (i.e. Route A will depart every 30 mintues and total customers in the bus lies between 1 and 30).

Here is my first question. Can we have a single resource that can have multiple entities? (20 entities are allocated to route A resouce. Also release time of entites is different, even though they are assigned to the resouce at the same time. For example, person A gets off middle of route A and person B gets off end of route A. Similraly seize time is different to entities).

My second question is can we vary number of available resouces based on time? (for example, after certain time, we dispose 10 of used buses and purchase 12 new buses and put these buses for service)

I am not familar with simulation studio, so I am not sure how I can describe model.

Thank you for all your comments in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EmilyLada
SAS Employee

Yes, you can create entities that are of type Resource.  If you have different types of resources (in your case, buses that serve different routes), you can either generate the resource entities and assign an attribute for the type OR you can create new Entity Types and use those to distinguish the different types of buses.  You can use an Entity Generator block to generate as many resource entities of each type that you need.  You can also change the ResourceUnits attribute of a resource entity to change the number of units of that resource (by default it is 1).  Be careful with that though because you might have to use merging/splitting options to get the correct behavior in your model.  I suggest reading the Resources chapter in the Simulation Studio documentation:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/simsug/68164/HTML/default/viewer.htm#simsug_resources_to...

The resource entity feature in Simulation Studio is very powerful and flexible, but you should definitely look at the documentation to understand all of the options.

And yes, you can create schedules for resource entities to vary their capacity.  Again, I would check out the Resource chapter in the doc for details.  And if possible, I would switch to the latest release, v14.1 since updates were made to the resource scheduling capabilities in that release.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
EmilyLada
SAS Employee

Yes, you can create entities that are of type Resource.  If you have different types of resources (in your case, buses that serve different routes), you can either generate the resource entities and assign an attribute for the type OR you can create new Entity Types and use those to distinguish the different types of buses.  You can use an Entity Generator block to generate as many resource entities of each type that you need.  You can also change the ResourceUnits attribute of a resource entity to change the number of units of that resource (by default it is 1).  Be careful with that though because you might have to use merging/splitting options to get the correct behavior in your model.  I suggest reading the Resources chapter in the Simulation Studio documentation:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/simsug/68164/HTML/default/viewer.htm#simsug_resources_to...

The resource entity feature in Simulation Studio is very powerful and flexible, but you should definitely look at the documentation to understand all of the options.

And yes, you can create schedules for resource entities to vary their capacity.  Again, I would check out the Resource chapter in the doc for details.  And if possible, I would switch to the latest release, v14.1 since updates were made to the resource scheduling capabilities in that release.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation