BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JMKUO
Calcite | Level 5

Question 2 of 2.1 of the Optimization portion of the Text/TimeSeries/Experiments/Optimization course says the default algorithm for linear programming is dual simplex, while the "Three-Dimensional Example" video states that the default in PROC OPTMODEL is primal simplex. Which is it? Am I conflating two different parts of the program, or is this contradictory?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheresaStemler
SAS Moderator
The dual simplex algorithm is the default algorithm for all linear programming problems in Proc OptModel.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

It might depend. I believe if you run an example, it should tell you which method it is using.

https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/or/143/optmodel.pdf

MODEL chooses a solver that depends on the problem type. Table 5.8 lists the default solver for each problem type.1

Table 5.8 Default Solvers and Algorithms in PROC OPTMODEL

Problem Solver Algorithm Constraint programming CLP Constraint propagation and backtracking search

Linear programming LP Dual simplex

Mixed integer linear programming MILP Branch-and-cut

General nonlinear programming NLP Interior point NLP

Quadratic programming QP Interior point QP

JMKUO
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks! - So, if asked on certification, for LP in OPTMODEL, the algorithm default is indeed dual simplex, correct?
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I can't verify t anything about the procedure, test or documentation.  All I can do is point you to the documentation.  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will look at your question and respond.

TheresaStemler
SAS Moderator
The dual simplex algorithm is the default algorithm for all linear programming problems in Proc OptModel.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation