BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

I have another question about the xls libname.

If my excel spreadsheet is password protected how do you get around that? It doesn't seem to work unless I take the password off manually but I need to have it there as the data is confidential. Also I am trying to avoid using dde.

My code is in the last thread if it helps. I am having a bit of trouble looking up much information on the xls libname!

Thanks a lot
3 REPLIES 3
deleted_user
Not applicable
Does nobody have any ideas? Maybe it isn't possible. How do other people get around the fact that an excel spreadsheet is password protected, do you use dde?
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
It's funny. This is not mentioned in any documentation as far as I know. Strange, becuase it seems kind of basic functionality/situation. All I found was a sentence in a Global Forum paper:

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2007/004-2007.pdf

under section 5. This is not a Institute contributed paper.

So, I think there is no way of reading this without having to disable your password. But if this data is sensitive, I suggest that you copy the Excel file to a safe location, and disable the password in that copy. Wouldn't that be sufficient?

Regards,
Linus
Data never sleeps
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for looking for me Linus. I wonder if the notes are a bit sparse because xls libname is quite a new thing in SAS (I think so anyway - I have only just heard of it.)

Your idea would work except I have been trying to avoid using dde as my excel spreadsheet has a macro in it so if I open it up the pop up comes up asking about do you want to enable macros? which prevents it from being fully automated. I could get around this by setting excel to low macro security but I don't want to do that.

Are there any ways of disabling a password and then later adding a password without having to actually open the file so that I can avoid the pop up. If that exists then that would be an ideal solution to my problem!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation