BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KristinM
Calcite | Level 5

I just reinstalled SAS and Microsoft Office on a new computer.  Now I cannot export to Excel probably due to the 32-bit vs 64-bit issue that has been discussed here previously.  I have read about how to export to xlsx files using code.  Here's what I used:

proc export

data=work.data2

dbms=xlsx

outfile="c:\temp\arcsin_seed_pc_lsmeans_allfixed.xlsx"

replace;

run;

It worked!  However I would prefer to use the "export" button under 'file'.  Is there a workaround that make that possible?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

11 REPLIES 11
BeverlyBrown
Community Manager

Hi Kristin, are you using University Edition?

Register now for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

KristinM
Calcite | Level 5

Good question.  I am not sure.  I am at a University, but I did not get a free student version or anything.  The information that comes up when I start SAS is:

X64_7PRO WIN 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Workstation

Does that tell you anything?  If not, let me know where I should look.

Thanks!

Kristin

BeverlyBrown
Community Manager

If you see SAS under All Programs on your Start menu, then you have a local copy of SAS through your university's license. Glad you were able to continue on your way!

Register now for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If the GUI tool doesn't work right for you then don't use it.

Just write the PROC EXPORT command yourself.

Our use the XLSX libname engine.

libname out xlsx "c:\temp\arcsin_seed_pc_lsmeans_allfixed.xlsx";

data out.data2; set data2; run;

libname out clear ;

KristinM
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, Tom, for that alternate way to export to xlsx files.

Cheers,

Kristin

Pav
SAS Employee Pav
SAS Employee

Hi Kristin,

If you have a local copy of SAS Installed and it says in the log: NOTE: This session is executing on the X64_7PRO  platform.

Then it is 64 bit.

The Microsoft Office is usually 32 bit and doesn't provide to SAS (64bit) a compatible driver for Excel and Access files.

You can install the Microsoft Access Database Engine x64bit 2010 Service Pack 1 to provide the correct driver for 64bit sas sessions.

Previous versions of the driver conflicted with the existing Office installation, but this Service Pack 1 works for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/Download/details.aspx?id=26605

Via this driver you will be able to use the File>Export>EXCEL or the proc export DBMS=EXCEL.

Best regards,

Paul

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The most stable workarounds for this problem are the following (as they do NOT rely on any Microsoft crapware at all; MS's inability to maintain a stable API is the main reason for the many import/export problems)

Reports:

Use ODS TAGSETS.EXCELXP to create a .xml file. This file can hold formatting information, and you can do all kinds of interesting things with data (like several differently structured tables in one sheet).

Data:

Write a .csv file with a simple data step

In both cases, the created file can be read for control (and modified) with a simple text editor.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Kurt I Wouldn't trust the tagsets os SAS either. There are different incompatible versions of that arround and the versioning is not clearly documented.

The best thing would be following the up to date standards as Eg open office at OASIS. The ms types are an extension on those.

SAS is working on direct XML (zipped) access to these ms types. This will avoid any classic interface as being supported for many years 20+. That is amazingly long.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Kurt I Wouldn't trust the tagsets os SAS either. There are different incompatible versions of that arround and the versioning is not clearly documented.

The best thing would be following the up to date standards as Eg open office at OASIS. The ms types are an extension on those.

SAS is working on direct XML (zipped) access to these ms types. This will avoid any classic interface as being supported for many years 20+. That is amazingly long.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You see, from experience I do not trust anything coming out of Redmond. If the chairman of MS tells me that the sky is blue, I go outside to check myself.

Tagsets at least produces a .xml that can be checked with an XML parser, if necessary. The MS "extension" of the OASIS is mostly blocks containing "MS tries to do a miracle in here, so don't bother".

I'd rather for SAS to completely drop any MS specific formats and interfaces (or at least don't take part in any future atrocities) and support the real ODF formats from now on (.odt, .ods, ...)

If this sounds polemical, well, that's the result of 30 years of dealing with MS shortcomings. And seeing that it is easily done better (the "old" HP, UNIX, open source, even IBM)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation