BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
srosetti
Calcite | Level 5

I am brand new to SAS, and I cannot open a file in Excel.  It continously comes up with an error that Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action.

What can I do to make these file open correctly?

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

"Open" or "read" or import or ??? describe how your are "opening" the file. Post code if you have it.

It sounds like something else may be touching the file. I have had occasions where an Excel file is treated as open when Excel isn't actually running. Something in the OS will say "the file is in use" when attempting to rename or delete for example. Note this is from the OS actions, not SAS.

Some guesses at causes: The file isn't actually an Excel file (xlsx) but is actually CSV, html or xml with a file extension of xlsx to "trick" Excel into opening the files. If the file in on a network or shared drive another user is doing something to the file. You are using SAS in a server mode and the Server can't actually see the file as it is on your local harddrive (though I would expect different error messages).

AlanC
Barite | Level 11

The file cannot be open when attempting this. To determine what has a lock on the file, download Process Explorer from sysinternals. it is free. Open it, find, enter the file name. it will tell you what has a lock on it.

https://github.com/savian-net
Reeza
Super User

Does it not work for all tables or a specific one?

Can you connect to the data via SAS directly (EG, Studio or Base) or are you working with the SAS Add In for Microsoft Office?

srosetti
Calcite | Level 5
So far, this is the only table it hasn't worked on. I am using a SAS add in for Office.
lorien0688
Calcite | Level 5

The OLE error appears when the response does not arrive within the specific time period. And there three main reasons behind getting the Excel OLE action error:

• Adding plenty of add-ins to the application and among then some are corrupted.
  • When Excel try opening file created in other application or obtain data from an active one
  • Using Excel ‘Send as Attachment’ option for sending Excel sheet in an email.

So check the given reasons one by one and try to fix them. Delete the add-ins this is responsible for various issues and errors in Excel.

Hope doing this will help you to fix Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action error

Source: repairmsexcel.com/blog/resolve-excel-ole-action-error

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation