SAS Office Analytics, SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office, and other integrations

The SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files is not installed error when importing Excel data

New Contributor

The SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files is not installed error when importing Excel data

I reinstalled SAS 9.3 on to my computer today, and when I went to import an Excel file, I got the following error:

The SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files is not installed

However, I ran

proc setinit;

run;

And the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files is listed under the products that are installed.

If I reinstall, is there a way to ensure that this piece will be installed correctly?

Thanks!

New Contributor

Re: The SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files is not installed error when importing Excel data

Hello BritAshley,

Make sure that SAS PC Files Server is installed and running.

If you are using Windows 7 you can check by clicking on the Start Icon and typing in services and hitting enter.  You should find the entry called:  "SAS PC Files Server" and it should say "Started" under Status.

New Contributor

Re: The SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files is not installed error when importing Excel data

Hi KevinL70,

I do not think I need SAS PC Files Server because I have 32-bit MS Office and 32-bit SAS.  I believe I am having problems with the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files.

Thanks!

New Contributor

Hi BritAshley,

According to the SAS documentation, I believe the SAS PC Files Server needs to run regardless if a PC is 64 or 32 Bit:

SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.3 Interface to PC Files: Reference

Thanks,

Respected Advisor

BritAshley is correct. If the "bitness" between SAS and Office is the same no PC File Server is required. Where I work we use 64-bit SAS and MS Office components and it works fine.

Grand Advisor

What's your code then? How are you trying to import your file?

New Contributor

Hi Reeza,

I can import csv and txt files, just not MS office files (Excel/Access).  I was using proc import to do it.

Thanks

Grand Advisor

Do you have the license for the product?

Run

proc setinit; run; to see if it's licensed and

proc product_status; run; to see if it's installed.

New Contributor

Thank you, okay, it was on the list of licensed products, but NOT on the list of installed products.  However, I know I clicked the box to install it when I installed SAS.

Respected Advisor

Try re-installing, using the additional software option.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation