BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BritAshley
Calcite | Level 5

I reinstalled SAS 9.3 on to my computer today, and when I went to import an Excel file, I got the following error:

The SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files is not installed

However, I ran

proc setinit;

run;

And the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files is listed under the products that are installed.

If I reinstall, is there a way to ensure that this piece will be installed correctly?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
KevinL70
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello BritAshley,

Make sure that SAS PC Files Server is installed and running.

If you are using Windows 7 you can check by clicking on the Start Icon and typing in services and hitting enter.  You should find the entry called:  "SAS PC Files Server" and it should say "Started" under Status.

BritAshley
Calcite | Level 5

Hi KevinL70,

I do not think I need SAS PC Files Server because I have 32-bit MS Office and 32-bit SAS.  I believe I am having problems with the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files.

Thanks!

KevinL70
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi BritAshley,

According to the SAS documentation, I believe the SAS PC Files Server needs to run regardless if a PC is 64 or 32 Bit:

SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.3 Interface to PC Files: Reference

Thanks,

SASKiwi
PROC Star

BritAshley is correct. If the "bitness" between SAS and Office is the same no PC File Server is required. Where I work we use 64-bit SAS and MS Office components and it works fine.

Reeza
Super User

What's your code then? How are you trying to import your file?

BritAshley
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Reeza,

I can import csv and txt files, just not MS office files (Excel/Access).  I was using proc import to do it.

Thanks

Reeza
Super User

Do you have the license for the product?

Run

proc setinit; run; to see if it's licensed and

proc product_status; run; to see if it's installed.

BritAshley
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, okay, it was on the list of licensed products, but NOT on the list of installed products.  However, I know I clicked the box to install it when I installed SAS.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try re-installing, using the additional software option.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation