BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SusanParker
Calcite | Level 5

We are moving to server SAS from individual PCs.  One of the decisions we have to make is whether or not to install the Microsoft Add-in.  Looking at the description, I can't see why would need to install it.  Wondering what others think. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

To me, the decision boils down to two things:

1) EGuide exports to Office require the AddIn

2) Dynamic reports (e.g. dashboards) can be created much easily with the AddIn.

SusanParker
Calcite | Level 5

We don't use Enterprise Guide and have no plans to.  We also don't do any dashboard type of reporting.  We're your basic pharma/biotech biometrics shop.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Quentin
Super User

I wouldn't think you would need the Excel add-in.  I've been playing with for a few months.  As I understand it, the Add-In as a way to use Excel as a client which can connect to the SAS server and do stuff. 

So you if you had folks who loved using Excel (sigh) and you wanted to give them the "Power of SAS" (running SAS PROCs or Stored Procedure on Excel data and returning results to Excel), then the add-in is a solution.

But if you're a shop of SAS programmers, who plan to keep being SAS programmers just working on a server SAS instead of PC SAS, wouldn't think folks would be interested in the add-in.

That said, I would suggest installing EG.  It's not a bad programming environment.  Has some benefits (and downside) vs Enhanced editor.  But of course you can do very well with just a good text editor and a terminal window...

HTH,

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I would like to suggest you consider using Enterprise Guide if you intend to run SAS on your PCs connecting to your server sessions via SAS/Connect.

Enterprise Guide can take a lot of the fiddling around with connection parameters off the table, and make submitting to a server faster.

Tom

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation