BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

SAS documentation states that the bitness of SAS and Office should match for "interoperability". However, I've installed SAS x64 (without PC Files Server) alongside Office 32-bit and, so far, I cannot find that this creates any difficulties with SAS-Office interaction. I can import and export spreadsheets, view data in Excel spreadsheets, and generally transfer data back and forth between SAS and Excel.

Can someone please clarify for me what exactly does SAS-Office "interoperability" mean?

4 REPLIES 4
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Fugue

It depends on the engine you're using if bitness needs consideration or not. 

@ChrisHemedinger wrote a great blog about the option you're having. This blog is my "one-stop-shop" whenever I've got such a question ...and I've just realized that Chris keeps this blog updated with options implemented by newer SAS version Smiley Happy 

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2012/02/11/export-excel-methods/ 

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, Patrick. I'm aware of Chris' blog and have read all of his articles (including the one you linked). The "problem" is that I am able to get results (import/export between SAS and Excel to and from 32-bit and 64-bit) without using special code/methods as Chris describes.

Still investigating, so stay tuned!

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Fugue,

it is as @Patrick mentions.

Additionally, I must say that, in the past, you had to be carefull of the bitness of SAS EG or SAS Addon for Office, you install, more than the bitness of the SAS version itself, meaning that the bitness is still important, for those 2 components, and their integration with Office's bitness. And you had to specify clearly to your SAS contracts manager, so you can receive the right SAS Software Depot.

However, SAS on its intention to continuosly improve, tends to deliver lately an installable that will cover both versions of bitness, and during installation time, it recognizes the bitness of Office and installs the right version. 

Conclussion: SAS tries to make life easier to us, and info in documentation still applies. 

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the reply, Juan. As for AMO, we are using the latest 9.4 standalone installer and it detects and installs the correct version based on Office bitness.

My "problem" is that I don't understand what SAS-Office "interoperability" means with respect to Base SAS/EG. As I replied to Patrick, I am able to import/export to/from SAS/Excel regardless of bit match - without any special code, which seems to contradict Chris' blog posts.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation