BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KRusso
Obsidian | Level 7

I have created a sas dataset that I update daily.   The excel document has been placed within Sharepoint. A pivot table in excel uses the sas dataset as a datasource via SAS Local Data Provider 9.4.  End users for the document do not have SAS and receive an error: "The Initialization of the dta source failed. Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sure the external database is available, and then try the operation again. If you see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the database."  I would like my users to be able to refresh the data even though they do not have SAS. Other coworkers having SAS installed on their machines ARE able to refresh the datasource. Any suggestions to enable non SAS havers to update the dataset through excel?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

I'll let someone else comment on whether it's possible or not with the SAS tools.

When we have to deliver this, we set the datasource as a text file and update that via SAS. The rest of the process is identical. This is a workaround though. 

KRusso
Obsidian | Level 7
How do you create the pivot table using the txt file as the data source? I am only getting errors saying it is not a valid data source type.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation