BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jimbocalvo
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I have deployed SAS Add-in for Microsoft Office v7.14 to my users via SCCM. When they start Word or Excel and the add-in is observed loading on the splash screen, we get "SAS Add-in for Microsoft Office has encountered a problem".

Word will eventually load, after clicking close on the error box, but the addins are not in the ribbon.

If I start Word with admin rights, the addins load and word starts with the addin in the ribbon.

We have Windows 10, Office 365 C2R and SAS Add-in 7.14.  I have attached the error dump.  We also have AppSense in our environment as well.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

James

7 REPLIES 7
jimbocalvo
Calcite | Level 5

Just as a follow up to some more testing, we get the same error when we run word with an account that isnt in AppSense.  

TimBeese
SAS Employee

Hi James,

One of the scenarios that can cause this is if the bitness of the Office product does not match the bitness of the SAS Add-In.  I would suggest checking your Office installation on the machine to see if it is 32 or 64 bit Office.  Then, make sure that your SAS Add-In was installed with the same bitness.

A common mistake is that someone will have a 64-bit machine, but the default Office installations are still 32-bit applications.

Tim Beese

jimbocalvo
Calcite | Level 5
Hi, we are using 32bit Office 365. I will just add though that if I start Word or Excel with elevated rights, the add-in loads normally. If the bitness was an issue would it give me the error when running with elevated and non-elevated permissions?
TimBeese
SAS Employee

You're right, if the add-in was installed with the wrong bitness, then it wouldn't matter if the user had admin rights or not, it would be giving this error.  

I'm not familiar with the difference between running the install with SCCM vs using the SAS Deployment Wizard, so I'm not much help on that front.

As for the error that you're getting, another thing that could cause that would be if the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) was not available to the user.  it seems odd that this would only be available for a user with admin rights and not for the regular user, but it's a thought.  Is this component installed on the machine?

If this doesn't help, you could open a track with SAS Technical support and they can assist with further diagnosis to try and find out which component is not available.

Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @jimbocalvo

Not sure if you're still experiencing the problem reported some weeks ago.

Did you try to use the Switcher utility as per Problem Note 52058 (If SAS® Add-In for Microsoft Office is installed with provisioning software, the SAS® menu is missing and the installation is incomplete) ?

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Damo

jimbocalvo
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Damo, I will give this a try

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation