BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jklein_271
Calcite | Level 5

As I've read a few conflicting answers online (SAS support included), can someone please tell me the cleanest solution to using proc import / export in an all 64 bit environment (Win 7 Pro 64 bit, SAS 9.3 64 bit, Office 2010 64 bit)?  I seem to be failing in finding a functioning DBMS engine that will allow me import / export to a xlsx. 

Do I need SAS/Access to PC Files added to the license? 

Will installing PC Files server solve my problem? 

Between the two (leaving cost out of the comparison), is SAS /Access to PC Files a cleaner solution?  Thanks for your time.

3 REPLIES 3
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes you will need SAS/Access to PC files

If you are using 64bit Office 2010 apparently you do not need PC files server

From the Readme for PC files server 9.3:

"SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files now allows direct access to PCFILES (without using SAS PC Files Server) on 64-bit SAS *if* 64-bit Office (or ACE) is installed (Office 2010 or above only)."

Export seems to be only able to create xlsb files.

R

jklein-271 wrote:

As I've read a few conflicting answers online (SAS support included), can someone please tell me the cleanest solution to using proc import / export in an all 64 bit environment (Win 7 Pro 64 bit, SAS 9.3 64 bit, Office 2010 64 bit)?  I seem to be failing in finding a functioning DBMS engine that will allow me import / export to a xlsx. 

Do I need SAS/Access to PC Files added to the license? 

Will installing PC Files server solve my problem? 

Between the two (leaving cost out of the comparison), is SAS /Access to PC Files a cleaner solution?  Thanks for your time.

jklein_271
Calcite | Level 5

I'm coming from an environment that was running on XP, SAS 9.2, SAS/Access to PC Files, and Office 2007.  I'm not even 100 percent sure I needed SAS/Access to PC Files to do what I was doing, but I had it on the license so it clearly may have played a part.  However, I was able to use proc import / export to import from xlsx AND export to xlsx.  Is there any way with my current setup to get back to that magical world?  I'm OK with spending more money to add needed add-ons to my license, but I'm hesitant if I would still only be able to export to xlsb.  Would installing Office 2010 32 bit solve any problems?  I guess I'm struggling to understand how SAS 9.3 64 bit, Office 2010 64 bit, in a 64 bit OS environment, WITH SAS/Access to PC Files still can't perform a simple fuction like exporting to an xlsx.

Fluorite | Level 6

If you use the libname option its possible to use a xlsx file as long as it already exists.

A response from SI would be welcome.

R

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation