BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BenConner
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

Excel has an annoying habit of truncating a long character field when all the bytes in the field are numeric; it thinks it is a numeric value and truncates anything past 16 digits.

I have a 20 byte character key field that at times has an all-numeric key value.  Anyone have a clever way to tell Excel to retain the character interpretation and not try to convert it to a number?

I was able to do this by enclosing the field in double quotes, but would like a cleaner solution if one is available.

Thanks!

--Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Something like this maybe.  untested.

define longnumber  / display "Header text" style=[tagattr='format:Text'];

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Something like this maybe.  untested.

define longnumber  / display "Header text" style=[tagattr='format:Text'];

BenConner
Pyrite | Level 9

Will give that a shot.  Thanks!

--Ben

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

It should work that way but I have also created a style and defined a new style element

style data_Text   from data      /  just=center tagattr='format:Text';

I think at one time the other way style override did not work but I can't remember.

This was created to display a format like 4. and keep the decimal.  I think it will also work for big numbers.  Hope so.

Message was edited by: data _null_

BenConner
Pyrite | Level 9

Outstanding!  That worked like a charm.  Thanks much!

--Ben

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation