BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MadhavCheluka
Fluorite | Level 6

This is In SAS Addin for Microsoft Excel (sas ribbon in excel)

When I change the data source from one LIBREF to Another (Data set name and the Server name is same but the LIBREF is different) using SAS -> selection -> Change Data Source  the Name (in SAS -> selection -> properties) is updating accordingly but the Object Name remains unchanged/updated to new LIBREF. is there a way to fix this.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MadhavCheluka
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Tim for the information. We have some reports that needed to point to new library so, when I saw the the object name remain same and not changed to new library I was wondering what could be the reason for not changing. I agree with you that the object name change could break the VBA code. if the object name is only used for VBA scripting to uniquely identify the contents we need to document/highlight it so that people could know exact reason for not changing. I was searing all over the internet for any information on this but could not find any 🙂

but for some reports just use the SAS Addin to create pivot tables and don't use VBA code, the object name difference (with Name) could indicate wrong location/data.  Please let me know if there are any alternatives.

your information is really helpful!

Thanks,

Madhav

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

@MadhavCheluka I'm checking to see if we can get an expert to respond.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
TimBeese
SAS Employee

Hello madhav1,

I'm a developer for the SAS Add-In, and we do not change the object name when the data source is changed.  The object name is only used for VBA scripting to uniquely identify the contents.  If we were to change the object name, existing VBA code could be broken when someone changes the data source.  The original object name that we choose is derived from the name of the library/dataset that was opened, so unfortunately after a "change data source" operation, the object name may look like it is indicating the wrong data.

If you'd like to discuss your usage of this and how it is causing problems, I may be able to offer some other alternatives.  Hope this helps.

Tim Beese

tim.beese@sas.com

MadhavCheluka
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Tim for the information. We have some reports that needed to point to new library so, when I saw the the object name remain same and not changed to new library I was wondering what could be the reason for not changing. I agree with you that the object name change could break the VBA code. if the object name is only used for VBA scripting to uniquely identify the contents we need to document/highlight it so that people could know exact reason for not changing. I was searing all over the internet for any information on this but could not find any 🙂

but for some reports just use the SAS Addin to create pivot tables and don't use VBA code, the object name difference (with Name) could indicate wrong location/data.  Please let me know if there are any alternatives.

your information is really helpful!

Thanks,

Madhav

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation