BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Restonian
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'd like to easily validate the total number of observations in my datasets after it is opened in AOM for Excel. I see where metadata is provided for the columns in the dataset, but I don't see where the total number of rows is displayed.

I know I can run a simple procedure to get the row count, but I'd prefer a quicker way for our users to validate the size of the SAS dataset before proceeding with their analysis. we are  using AOM 6.1

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Restonian
Calcite | Level 5

I found a point and click way to do it. Tasks > Data > Data Set Attributes

The task produces a nice summary meta data report including number of observations. It will embed the report into another worksheet which is very nice to have when sending the report to others who may need to reproduce the results.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The first thing that came to my mind was to create a stored process that outputs the data and then appends a line with the totals, so you get the totals as an additional line in Excel.

Another method might be to insert a function in Excel before the cell where you start importing, that checks for the last used cell and displays it's line number.

Restonian
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Kurt for the suggestions. We are rolling out AOM to 400 SAS users in our company, all are on the SAS Grid platform. It is not unusual for us to have datasets with greater than a million rows. We are telling our users not to load these large files into Excel, but to run tasks on the Grid. SAS provides one click access to metadata on the SAS variables but surprisingly no data on the size of the dataset. I thought I was missing something obvious. Lacking that,  I'll direct our users to run one of the descriptive statistical task to verify they are working with a complete dataset.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Another method: create a list of your SAS tables and put it up on the SAS server's apache (or whatever HTTP server you use). Update that list appropriately, so it reflects the current dataset sizes.

I do something similar (slightly more complicated) to keep users informed of their disk usage in shared volumes.

Restonian
Calcite | Level 5

I found a point and click way to do it. Tasks > Data > Data Set Attributes

The task produces a nice summary meta data report including number of observations. It will embed the report into another worksheet which is very nice to have when sending the report to others who may need to reproduce the results.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation