BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Wayne_PSU
Calcite | Level 5

Can I "merge" two or more SAS datasets into Excel?  If so, how? 

Excel 2010

SAS Add-in 4.3

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
art297
Opal | Level 21

I think you have to better explain what you are trying to do.  You can always merge two or more datasets using either a datastep or proc sql and then export the file to Excel.

Wayne_PSU
Calcite | Level 5

Here's some additional detail:

I've just set up SAS-EBI 9.3 and installed MS Add-In for Excel 4.3 on a client to test.  I am exploring the functionality of the SAS tab within Excel and would like to create a filter that accesses variables from more than one SAS dataset in a SAS library. 

Thank you.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

This sounds like a job for either an information map or a stored process.

In the information map, you can define the relationship between the tables (one to many, one to one, etc) and the type of join. Then, the information map can be accessed by any of the client applications that support information map access. The end user will only see the "final" results and will not have to worry about the fact that what they see is the result of a join/merge process.

Another alternative is to code you join in a stored process and return the stored process results to Excel using the SAS Add-in. The method you use will depend on what you feel comfortable with and whether you are comfortable with Information Map Studio and/or the coding needed to create a stored process.

cynthia

Wayne_PSU
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Cynthia. 

I appreciate that there are various ways to create data for use in Excel.  However, in this situation I would like end users to be able to access various existing datasets via the SAS Add-in for Excel, then create a filter to refine the results. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

The two most common ways for end users to combine tables in SAS is (as Cynthia mentioned) is Information Maps (to have a power user define them for you, or if you are competent enough, do it your self), and Enterprise Guide. There is no currently available functionality in AMO to combine tables

If your users are competent enough to combine tables, I think that Enterprise Guide could be suitable tool for them.

/Linus

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation