BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mar
Calcite | Level 5 mar
Calcite | Level 5

I have 4 treatments. Two of the treatments are replicated 4 times and two of them are replicated 3 times. There are about 40 variables (I know its a lot). When I am trying to simply read the data into SAS and proc print it....SAS keeps giving me no more than 7 observations and is skipping every other line from my excel file (comma delimited and infiled). how do I get sas to read all my treatments?

this is my code

data transabro5;

infile 'C:\Users\pc\Documents\tranposedtop20.csv' firstobs = 2 dlm = ',' obs = 50;

input trt $    Aliivibriofischeri    Aliivibriosalmonicida    Alteromonasmacleodii    Arcobacterbutzleri    Campylobacterconcisus    Campylobactercurvus    Campylobacterfetus    Campylobacterhominis    Campylobacterjejuni    Colwelliapsychrerythraea    Escherichiacoli    Helicobacterhepaticus    Helicobacterpylori    NitratiruptorspSB    Photobacteriumangustum    Photobacteriumprofundum    Pseudoalteromonasatlantica    Pseudoalteromonashaloplanktis    Pseudoalteromonastunicata    Pseudomonasaeruginosa    Pseudomonasfluorescens    Pseudomonasputida    Salmonellaenterica    Shewanellabaltica    Shewanellafrigidimarina    Shewanellapealeana    ShewanellaspW    Sulfurimonasdenitrificans    Sulfurospirillumdeleyianum    SulfurovumspNBC    Vibrio alginolyticus    Vibriocholerae    Vibrioharveyi    Vibrioparahaemolyticus    VibriospEx    VibriospMED    Vibriosplendidus Vibriovulnificus Wolinellasuccinogenes;

proc print data = transabro5;

run;

this is my output (I renumbered the treatments 1 through 14 to see if it was an issue with SAS merging my treatments that were numbered the same....that does not seem to be the issue)

Obs trt  Aliivibriofischeri  Aliivibriosalmonicida  Alteromonasmacleodii  Arcobacterbutzleri

1    1        1.34308              0.46310                0.16862              21.5209

2    3        2.31566              0.67714                0.19690              12.1740

3    5        2.72847              0.81170                0.46672               7.3411

4    7        3.48375              0.99314                0.21128               0.2287

5    9        3.21311              0.92660                0.15830               5.3156

6   11        3.71651              1.06593                0.35935               0.0904

7   13        3.27903              0.97390                0.45478               2.3671

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BobD
Fluorite | Level 6

Try adding LRECL=32000 TRUNCOVER to your INFILE statement:

infile 'C:\Users\pc\Documents\tranposedtop20.csv' firstobs = 2 dlm = ',' obs = 50 LRECL=32000 TRUNCOVER;

See if that helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I'll bet you have some interesting messages in the SAS LOG.  It should help you understand the problem. 

mar
Calcite | Level 5 mar
Calcite | Level 5

I'm still learning how to read the error logs with help from SAS user information and google.  Hoping to master SAS but its going to take me some time...lol

This is what I got and I didn't know how to interpret it.

129  data transabro8;

130  infile 'C:\Users\pc\Documents\tranposedtop20.csv' firstobs = 2 dlm = ',' obs = 50;

131  input trt $ Aliivibriofischeri  Aliivibriosalmonicida   Alteromonasmacleodii

131! Arcobacterbutzleri  Campylobacterconcisus   Campylobactercurvus Campylobacterfetus

131! Campylobacterhominis    Campylobacterjejuni Colwelliapsychrerythraea    Escherichiacoli

131! Helicobacterhepaticus   Helicobacterpylori  NitratiruptorspSB   Photobacteriumangustum

131! Photobacteriumprofundum Pseudoalteromonasatlantica  Pseudoalteromonashaloplanktis

131! Pseudoalteromonastunicata   Pseudomonasaeruginosa   Pseudomonasfluorescens

131! Pseudomonasputida   Salmonellaenterica  Shewanellabaltica   Shewanellafrigidimarina

131! Shewanellapealeana  ShewanellaspW   Sulfurimonasdenitrificans   Sulfurospirillumdeleyianum

131!  SulfurovumspNBC Vibrio alginolyticus    Vibriocholerae  Vibrioharveyi

131! Vibrioparahaemolyticus  VibriospEx  VibriospMED Vibriosplendidus Vibriovulnificus

131! Wolinellasuccinogenes;

NOTE: The infile 'C:\Users\pc\Documents\tranposedtop20.csv' is:

Filename=C:\Users\pc\Documents\tranposedtop20.csv,

RECFM=V,LRECL=256,File Size (bytes)=7319,

Last Modified=29May2012:12:23:16,

Create Time=25May2012:09:15:53

NOTE: 14 records were read from the infile 'C:\Users\pc\Documents\tranposedtop20.csv'.

The minimum record length was 256.

The maximum record length was 256.

One or more lines were truncated.

NOTE: SAS went to a new line when INPUT statement reached past the end of a line.

NOTE: The data set WORK.TRANSABRO8 has 7 observations and 41 variables.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           0.07 seconds

cpu time            0.06 seconds

132  proc print data = transabro8;

133  run;

NOTE: There were 7 observations read from the data set WORK.TRANSABRO8.

NOTE: PROCEDURE PRINT used (Total process time):

real time           0.01 seconds

cpu time            0.01 seconds

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

NOTE: 14 records were read from the infile 'C:\Users\pc\Documents\tranposedtop20.csv'.

The minimum record length was 256.

The maximum record length was 256.

One or more lines were truncated.

NOTE: SAS went to a new line when INPUT statement reached past the end of a line.

This is indication that LRECL is too small.

BobD
Fluorite | Level 6

Try adding LRECL=32000 TRUNCOVER to your INFILE statement:

infile 'C:\Users\pc\Documents\tranposedtop20.csv' firstobs = 2 dlm = ',' obs = 50 LRECL=32000 TRUNCOVER;

See if that helps.

mar
Calcite | Level 5 mar
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you VERY much for your suggestion. It has allowed me to read all of the treatments. Generally speaking does SAS prefer to read files from excel in a particular format?

BobD
Fluorite | Level 6

Well, technically you are not reading an Excel file; you are reading a comma-separated values (CSV) file that you might have created from Excel.  If you did a "Save as" from Excel, this is just a plain old text file that is a copy of the rows and columns that were in your spreadsheet.  Just remember that it is just a copy; if you change the data in the spreadsheet it will not be changed in the CSV file.

Of course, it can be confusing because Excel will open the CSV file and display it as a worksheet.  That's just Excel trying ot be helpful.  If all you have is a file with this "csv" file type, it's just a plain text file.  It would only be a real Excel workbook if you did a "Save as" and chose to save it as an Excel workbook.  As before, this would just make a separate copy into a completely different file (with a file type of "xls" or "xlsx" depending on the version of Excel you saved it as..

And SAS doesn't really have a preference.  If you have SAS Access to PC File Formats licensed and installed on your PC, SAS can read the Excel spreadsheet directly.

The particular problem you ran into is very common.  The "default" record length for external files is only 256 characters.  I wish SAS would change it generally to avoid this problem but I suppose they have some reason not to do so.  The other thing you could do is add this statement to your "autoexec.sas" file:

options lrecl=32000;

That will change the option for all your SAS sessions, in case you forget to add it to your INFILE statement.  I do that myself.

Astounding
PROC Star

While you're on the right road, I would suggest one further tweak.  At all costs, avoid the options TRUNCOVER and MISSOVER.  Most of the time, they will mask problems with your data.  Instead, use this option:  DSD

The issue you will be addressing is what happens when one of the columns from the source data file is blank?  There will be two commas in a row in the .csv file.  The DSD option tells SAS to treat them as separate delimiters, each marking the end of one of the fields you are trying to read.

Good luck, and keep reading the log!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation