BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnandV
Calcite | Level 5

I am using SAS 9.4 hosted on Linux servers. Using EG I have run my code and created a dataset which is saved in my linux home directory. 

I also have SAS Addin to Excel connected to same sas 9.4 on linux. I want to Import my sas dataset current stored at my linux home dir to excel and create a pivot out of it. Is there any way to do so? When I go to sas data under sas addin for excel I only see default sas folders.

I know I can do winscp to move the sas dataset from linux to windows and then use that in excel but since these are very large datasets and It takes time, also I have to move these after every execution. looking for more better solution. Kindly share any example links if possible.

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In order to see SAS datasets in the AddIn, they have to reside in libraries that are assigned in the workspace server by default (through metadata or the autoexec file).

Libraries that you assign "manually" in your EG will not be present in a workspace server session started from elsewhere.

I suggest you put your dataset in your SASUSER library, as that is assigned automatically and persists over sessions.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Allthough, I think that the workspace server by default uses the -rsasuser option, so may need to involve your SAS server admin to make this work.

If this is for your personal use/pleasure, another option is to export the data directly to Excel from EG, hence using Excel standard pivoting features.

Data never sleeps
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@LinusH wrote:

Allthough, I think that the workspace server by default uses the -rsasuser option

You're right.

That obviously was one of the first things I changed when setting up our own server instances. Only the SASApp tree here has that option.

So in this case a library needs to be set up by the admin to facilitate the OP's wishes.

rogerjdeangelis
Barite | Level 11

R/Python e excellent Unix(and widows) packages to operate on excel

http://www.r-bloggers.com/a-million-ways-to-connect-r-and-excel/

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/chapter12/

and if you have IML, can interface with SAS to read and wrtite SAS datasets.

R can already read SAS datasets, using two packages, haven and sas7bdat.

If you tell us what you need to accomplish we may be able to show you several solutions.

Newuser663
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you so much! I am having the same issue. We are saving output data in remote server through Winscp. I am wondering how can we show those data folders in SAS Excel add-in? We only can see default folders, like SASUser. Thank you in advance!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Define a library in metadata for that directory, in the correct Application Server.

Note that responding to a three-year-old thread won't get you much of an audience. If you want more people to see your question, open a new thread of your own.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation