BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cmoore
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have created automatic daily email alerts that come into my outlook email inbox. The alerts contain daily news article links that state the date and headline. Please see below an example;

This is your e-mail from mergermarket generated by your alert: European M&A alert

Computer services

25/01/2018 Econocom wants to make more acquisitions (translated)

Bolt on/Opportunistic

Consumer: Other

25/01/2018 Novartis could pay up to USD 10bn for individual acquisitions; no deadline for US generics unit deci...

Bolt on/Opportunistic, Cross Border, Takeover situations, Other, Other

24/01/2018 Companies to follow in Italy: new investments, growth plans, potential for M&A
Proprietary Intelligence

Companies for sale

Consumer: Retail

25/01/2018 Emté owner Sligro expects to sell supermarket chain this year (translated)

Auction/Privatization

24/01/2018 Pets at Home shareholder KKR placing 12.3% stake via AAB

Companies for sale, Private equity related

24/01/2018 Yonghui Superstores wants no controlling stake in Carrefour China; company to resume stock trading o...

Cross Border, Takeover situations

Is there away to link SAS to Microsoft Outlook 2010 to pull in emails from a subfolder in an inbox and specify the data contained in the body of the email? Ideally I would have the following columns per news link; Date, News_Headline, Practice Group and Sector. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Simplest way I can think of is to write a small VBA macro which triggers when mail received to that folder, which takes the body of the text and appends it to a CSV file in a given location, your SAS program would just need to read the CSV.

Am afraid this: "Is there away to link SAS to Microsoft Outlook 2010 to pull in emails from a subfolder in an inbox and specify the data contained in the body of the email? " - doesn't really make any sense to me, do you want the data as a dataset, or an output, or a notification?  What SAS are you using?  

Also, I would check with your IT, they may already have something in place (most have ticketing systems which use emails, so may be able to pull that data directly into a DB and you extract from there).

cmoore
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I would be wanting the data to create a dataset and build up the history of all news alerts that come through. I will then use another internal dataset I have to merge together the data. I'm using SAS 9.4.

Thanks

Chris

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation