BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I'm trying to create a Access front end with a SAS back end but I'm not sure how to connect to SAS from Access.  We do have a sas/share server setup.

Thank you for any help you can give me

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

There's lot of documentation on support.sas.com that describes how to connect to SAS via SAS ODBC driver.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

There's lot of documentation on support.sas.com that describes how to connect to SAS via SAS ODBC driver.

Data never sleeps
Reeza
Super User

Can you define/clarify your question?

What are you trying to do in your 'front end' and what are you doing in the 'back end'? And a standard ODBC connection doesn't work?

AndreasMenrath
Pyrite | Level 9

You can also user OLEDB to connect to your SAS share server (SAS(R) 9.3 Providers for OLE DB: Cookbook).

Please clarify what your front end and your backend should do.

Do you want to just load SAS tables into your Access DB or do you need to execute SAS code in your backend?

jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you both for your replies.  We were going to connect a access form app to sas.  We are going with "C#" instead.

Thank you

AndreasMenrath
Pyrite | Level 9

I have programmed some SAS applications with C# in the past and can tell you that you can expect some surprises on your way.

The best way to start is to read the windows client developer's guide and the oledb cookbook mentioned before.

But expect some resistance when you read or update data with SQL:

- mapping .Net data types to SAS data types (with formats and informats) and vice versa

- standard mechanisms of .Net to update an DataTable will not work with the SAS provider. So you have to write all your operations in SAS SQL.

- if you also want to execute some SAS scripts and interact with a workspace server take a close look at the object keeper.

Good luck!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation