BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ThomasHirsch
Fluorite | Level 6

When filtering columns in an IMAP in SAS AMO there is no possibility to have a preview of the data which is stored in the column. The User has to know exactly which values he needs to type into the filter dialog. For example: 'Country' contains 'Germany', 'Austria' and 'Spain'. As a User i need to know exactly that these expressions are the values of the column. In Enterprise Guide 5.1 for example i can list the content of the column and pick the values i would like to filter.

This is quite unconvenient for users who are not that familiary with the data - which is more the rule than the exception.

Are there any plans to fix this?

12 REPLIES 12
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Exactly how do you do your "filtering"?

Using a predefined filter in the IMAP?

Excel, using "autofilter" ?

How do you open the IMAP and into what program?

I can open a IMAP in excel and do autofilter and select which items I want to use.

The same when I use then filter dialog when opening the IMAP, I can chose from a list of items....

Regards Fredrik

ThomasHirsch
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi FrederikE,

the point is: I do not define a filter within the IMAP because the User wants to have the flexibility to filter across all columns if he wants to. Or with other words: The User can pick any column he wants for filtering.

Therefore he opens the IMAP in the Excel Add In and uses the filter dialog:

2012-10-15_11h10_23.png

2012-10-15_11h17_25.png

As you can see - there is no option to have a preview on the data (Excel Add In Version 5.1).

Greetings,

Thomas Hirsch

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Ok, I understand your problem!

Is there a lot of rows in the data?

If so I would try to create filters for the different variables, that will enable selection.

If not maybe opening the IMAP into a pivot would help the users? Oops, just saw that you might already do this......:-)

Regards Fredrik

ThomasHirsch
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi FrederikE,

you are right - the intention is to open the Data in a Pivot table which gives the User a lot of flexibility.

Thinking about your proposal i like the idea of (pre-)preparing some filters in the IMAP. I need to talk to the customers and define the most important variables to use for filtering. That should solve at least 80% of all filtering requests ... (the great Pareto principle).

Thanks for commenting!

Cheers,

Thomas

ThomasHirsch
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I tried to implement what you proposed and guess what happened? It does not work as intended.

The point is that i would like to have a dynamic list of values from which the user can pick the ones he needs. It just doesn't work within the Excel Add In. I can choose values opening the IMAP in eGuide and/or the WRS but not in AMO. Opening the dynamic list in AMO shows an empty drop down list. It works when i collect the values from the base tabel but not using the current IMAP (see screenshot).

I initiated a sas track at the SAS hotline and am still waiting for a solution.

Cheers, Thomas

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Really strange, for me it's working great.....

Just a question, in your last picture it seemes that you are using a stored process, why?

ThomasHirsch
Fluorite | Level 6

SAS told me that there is a known defect

http://support.sas.com/kb/44/832.html.

so it would surprise me if it would work perfectly in your environment, using dynamic list, the IMAP as the data source (for the dynamic list) and AMO as the Application.

To answer your question: Yes i am using a Stored Process to ask the user for 2 dates which i need to calculate a column in the IMAP. The STP is not the reason for my problem since i already tested a version without the STP. I am also sure it would not work with any given IMAP.

It also does not work in the Enterprise Guide but there are no problems using the WebReport Studio.

Cheers, Thomas

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I have created an imap with a filter using a dynamic list from the current imap.

My prompt is not shared! (the SAS note mentioned shared prompts....)

I open the imap from excel and can choose from the list.

Am I missing something...:-)

ThomasHirsch
Fluorite | Level 6

Hm, what exactly does 'my prompt is not shared' mean? I also struggled a bit with the meaning of 'unshare the prompt' mentioned in the SAS Note.

Maybe you can add the 2 Screenshots from the filter definition in your IMAP.

Cheers, Thomas

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Sorry for the delay...here are some screenshots:

filter1.png

filter2.png

filter3.png

filter4.png

filter5.png

filter6.png

filter7.png

filter8.png

ThomasHirsch
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Fredrik,

many thanks for the comprehensive screenshots. This is exactly how it should be but on our site it's not working.

SAS points out that this issue (empty filter list when using dynamic prompts) has been fixed in AMO 4.3 but does not work (again) in AMO 5.1.

Could it be that you are using AMO 4.3?

Cheers, Thomas

P.S. I was struggling with your native language since the description of the menu buttons etc. are not really familiar to me but i was able to 'translate' this into our version since the look and feel is the same.

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hehe, Yes we are using 4.3...

//Fredrik

P.S

Ich hatte die gleiche "probleme" mit Ihrem "screen shots", aber meine kleine "schule-deutch" (? :-)) hat mir ein bisschent geholfen....

D.s

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation