BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
onpoint1
Calcite | Level 5

For years, I've been able to Copy to Clipboard small datasets and Paste into Excel.  The Copy part still seems to work, but Paste in Excel creates a table outline but no data.  The log looks normal,although I've never paid much attention to it before:

51   filename _temp_ clipbrd;

52   ods noresults;

53   ods listing close;

54   ods html file=_temp_ rs=none style=minimal;

NOTE: Writing HTML Body file: _TEMP_

55   proc print data=Work.'Rx_output'N noobs;

56   run;

NOTE: There were 5 observations read from the data set WORK.RX_OUTPUT.

NOTE: PROCEDURE PRINT used (Total process time):

real time           0.00 seconds

cpu time            0.01 seconds

57   ods html close;

58   ods results;

59   ods listing;

60   filename _temp_;

NOTE: Fileref _TEMP_ has been deassigned.

Is there some setting that I've accidentally triggered in either SAS or Excel?   When I paste into Notepad, I get the full text of html commands.  I don't use ods, so not sure if there is something to change there. I've closed both SAS and Excel and restarted but no difference.  Help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
onpoint1
Calcite | Level 5

Okay, the final, final answer  and solution from Martin @sas.support:

When invoking SAS, if you get notes such as the following:

NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.REGSTRY. WORK.REGSTRY will be opened instead.

NOTE: All registry changes will be lost at the end of the session.

NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.PROFILE. WORK.PROFILE will be opened instead.

NOTE: All profile changes will be lost at the end of the session.

The cause is typically due to either corrupt profile files in SASUSER or incompatible profile files in SASUSER.  For example, if you happen to be running the 64-bit version of SAS but you are using old profile files created with the 32-bit version of SAS (perhaps via a previous install), then you will get the notes above.  In this case, your only option is to follow the steps I sent in my previous email to rename all of the files in SASUSER (so when starting up a new SAS session, SAS will recreate the profile files from scratch). 

Also note that you will get the note statements above when invoking multiple SAS sessions on the same Windows machine (since only the very first invocation of SAS will have write/update access to SASUSER).  However, if you constantly get the notes above when only invoking a single SAS session, then you will have to rename all of the profile files in SASUSER.   

submit the following statements to SAS:

proc options option=sasuser;

run;

Look in the SAS log and jot down the Windows directory that SASUSER points to.  Then, exit SAS.  Using Windows Explorer, open the Windows directory that SASUSER points to. In this directory, locate the following files:

profile.sas7bcat

profile2.sas7bcat

profbak.sas7bcat

templat.sas7bitm

regstry.sas7bitm

If any of the files above exist in this directory, rename them to:

profile.old

profile2.old

profbak.old

templat.old

regstry.old

Then, restart SAS and let me know if this does not resolve the original issue. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

One thing that I've noticed when copying or cutting code from the Enterprise Guide code window is that sometimes it takes quite a while. If I switch over to my other application and hit Paste, I don't end up with anything.

Try waiting longer after your Copy. That's all I can think of.

Tom

onpoint1
Calcite | Level 5

thanks Tom -- at first I was thinking that couldn't be the issue because the table only has 5 rows and 3 columns.  However, I did have to abort a copy and paste yesterday (when the problem first happened) when I realized the table was too big.  I'll bet something is still hung up from that ctrl/break, Cancel submitted statements, etc. Wonder why shutting SAS down didn't clear it out?   I'll try rebooting and check my Temp space.

onpoint1
Calcite | Level 5

Finally found a .txt file that thought it was still open, despite exiting SAS and rebooting multiple times.  Once that file was deleted the Copy /Paste works again as normal.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Oh, that's great! Thanks a lot for passing it along...I'll watch for the same kind of thing the next time copy/paste goes wonky with me.

Best,

Tom

onpoint1
Calcite | Level 5

Okay, the final, final answer  and solution from Martin @sas.support:

When invoking SAS, if you get notes such as the following:

NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.REGSTRY. WORK.REGSTRY will be opened instead.

NOTE: All registry changes will be lost at the end of the session.

NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.PROFILE. WORK.PROFILE will be opened instead.

NOTE: All profile changes will be lost at the end of the session.

The cause is typically due to either corrupt profile files in SASUSER or incompatible profile files in SASUSER.  For example, if you happen to be running the 64-bit version of SAS but you are using old profile files created with the 32-bit version of SAS (perhaps via a previous install), then you will get the notes above.  In this case, your only option is to follow the steps I sent in my previous email to rename all of the files in SASUSER (so when starting up a new SAS session, SAS will recreate the profile files from scratch). 

Also note that you will get the note statements above when invoking multiple SAS sessions on the same Windows machine (since only the very first invocation of SAS will have write/update access to SASUSER).  However, if you constantly get the notes above when only invoking a single SAS session, then you will have to rename all of the profile files in SASUSER.   

submit the following statements to SAS:

proc options option=sasuser;

run;

Look in the SAS log and jot down the Windows directory that SASUSER points to.  Then, exit SAS.  Using Windows Explorer, open the Windows directory that SASUSER points to. In this directory, locate the following files:

profile.sas7bcat

profile2.sas7bcat

profbak.sas7bcat

templat.sas7bitm

regstry.sas7bitm

If any of the files above exist in this directory, rename them to:

profile.old

profile2.old

profbak.old

templat.old

regstry.old

Then, restart SAS and let me know if this does not resolve the original issue. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation