BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

I believe that the filter option on the Enterprise Guide query builder is much better and safer than the one in AMO. The reason is that I have seen users often create AMO filters with multiple lines and when they string, say, 2 ANDs and an OR together, they don't realise that what they are getting back is not what they wanted.

The graphical nature of the filter in EG makes this much more obvious.

Are there any plans to update this in AMO?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Bill_SAS
SAS Employee
I understand your concern. We've had some confusion surrounding the AND and OR operator precedence here as well. There are currently no plans to address this issue.
deleted_user
Not applicable
That's a pity - it is a very real problem.
deleted_user
Not applicable
You could generate your filtering in EG with the graphic option.

Further on work on the generated code and adapt it to your needs (and / or's. That is what is so fantastic in EG. You mainly have a solution for any need.

Regards,
Pablo
deleted_user
Not applicable
Yes, but users who use AMO in my experience do so because they are not users of EG. The AMO filter needs to be foolproof for these typically lesz expert users.

The EG3 graphical query builder (ie the 'Filter' tab) is excellent and is exactly what is needed in AMO.

I have seen major problems when people create a complicated filter (ie ANDs plus ORs) in AMO - the data they get is not what they think they are getting.

The EG4 query builder has some disadvantages compared to the EG3 query builder, and one is the loss of this graphical filter.

In fact, I was disappointed to see so much work put into the query builder in EG4. It is by far the best part of EG3 and should have been left alone IMO - there are plenty of other areas in more need of enhancement.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation