An off-topic spot to chat about your musings of the day

You're a SAS User?!?

Regular Contributor

You're a SAS User?!?

pic of me.jpg

Biostatistician, Data Analyst, Statistical Programmer, they are the roles and careers that anyone in SAS hears about on a regular basis.  However, there are so many more roles available to you that also use SAS, and I wanted to tell you about mine.  I am a “Wait Time Coordinator” at a Toronto-area hospital, but that title was the one my predecessor had; I frequently refer to myself as the “Computer Geek for the OR”, which is fairly accurate.  Some of the highlights of my job include:

• Project lead for a massive database migration (including testing, user training, documentation, and anything else that comes up);
  • User support and database admin for the current version of the database;
  • Data analyst for all data collected in the database (using SAS!);
  • Anything else that comes up in the OR, Surgical Daycare, or Post-Ambulatory Care Unit

I use SAS for everything from data cleaning, manipulation, merging, auditing, any thing else that comes up in the day-to-day running of the Operating Room.  I do financial analysis, preparing for staffing changes, forecasting for new surgeons / procedures coming into our hospital, auditing database usage in documentation, case costing – literally anything that may come up. 

One of the best parts of my job (at least to me) is that I’m able to go into the OR during procedures if they are having problems with the computers.  I’ve always been interested in medicine, so being able to combine data analysis/databases with clinical/surgical procedures is literally the best of both worlds.

I'm really curious to see how you use SAS - I look forward to seeing what you do with it! 

Has my article or post helped? Please mark as Solution or Like the article!
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 1 in conversation