An off-topic spot to chat about your musings of the day

SAS Global Forum 2017 - Looking for SAS University Edition users!

Regular Contributor

SAS Global Forum 2017 - Looking for SAS University Edition users!

This week I was in Vegas with about 5,100 of my fellow SAS users and my brain is full.  I have literally mounds of notes of things I want to research, write about, investigate, learn, and play with.  I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to many people that work in the SAS Studio / SAS University Edition team at SAS, including Amy Peters and Shannon Smith.  I have some really cool things that I'm going to be working on for SAS UE, and looking forward to hearing your feedback; I can't give details right now, but keep checking back.

One thing I can mention is that I'm on the team working to put together SAS Global Forum 2017, which will be held in Orlando, Floria at Disney World.  I was there in 2012, and it is an amazing place.  Having said that, i would like to see more presentations on SAS University Edition, so if you are interested in presenting (even if you don't have a topic) please reach out to me and I will see what I can do.  I can't guarantee you a spot as a presenter, but I will do everything I can to help you get there.

Please let me know if you have any questions - I've now been to two SGFs and would be happy to help you navigate everything.

Chris

Has my article or post helped? Please mark as Solution or Like the article!
Contributor

Re: SAS Global Forum 2017 - Looking for SAS University Edition users!

Hi Chris,

If SAS could find some way of opening up the University Edition (or providing a version) that connects with Hadoop I'd be happy to write about that. I'm currently doing work connecting Hadoop with Enterprise Guide, SAS Studio, etc but can't do anything with SAS University Edition (UE) in it's current incarnation.

Given SAS' recent focus on Data Science and being more 'Open', connecting SAS UE to Hadoop would seem the natural progression for the vApp, even if it's limited to 1 core, for example.

Just a thought.

regards

David 

Regular Contributor

Hi David,

I totally agree - unfortunately SAS UE runs on a VM, and as a result University Edition doesn't have the ability to run PROC HADOOP. I'm sure you're already aware of this, but wanted to let you know - I spent a long saturday a couple of months ago trying to figure out a way and ended up confining with SAS Support it wasn't possible. I haven't tried SAS UE on AWS, and should give this a shot....

thanks
Chris
Contributor

Hi Chris,

Agreed. I think SAS should provide a vApp with the ability to connect with Hadoop in the same way that Data Loader for Hadoop is a vApp. It is possible, they just need to open up the relevant parts of the VM.

Again, in doing this it may drive more adoption in using SAS with Hadoop.

IF, and it's a big IF, SAS do decide to do this, then I'd be happy to share my finding at a future SAS Global Forum.

cheers

David

Regular Contributor

I'll see what I can find out and keep you posted - thanks for the interest!! Have a great day :-)
Contributor

I want present SAS UE with Topic SAS BASE CERTIFACATION
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation