An off-topic spot to chat about your musings of the day

Effective Advanced GIS and Time Series Visualization

Occasional Contributor

Effective Advanced GIS and Time Series Visualization

As part of my curriculum in MS program, I had an opportunity to discuss on Advanced GIS and Time Series Visualization. I wanted to share with sas community.

Bye (2016) has given the history of the world through a YouTube video from 200000 BCE. This animation / visualization uses several techniques including different shading, coloring, and a year timer that keeps on moving as the map changes at different points in history.

This visualization/animation gives due consideration to global population, discoveries and inventions, advanced civilization, politics and diplomacy, society and culture all in one setting. Per Meirelles (2013), it is a thematic map visualization where the animation contains themes as mentioned above all in one animation which is phenomenal. There is however no reference to scaling, and is a projection of a multidimensional object (earth being a globe or sphere) into two dimensional projections.

Due to the time constraints of the audience, Bye (2016) must have shortened the video to ~19 minutes. If the important events in history including 1st and 2nd world wars, when the global population reached a billion people, important inventions and discoveries such as gravity, computers and so forth, with appropriate color schemes, and themes would make it much more memorable.

References:

Bye, Ollie (2016) The History of the World: Every Year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3403044665&feature=iv&src_vid=ymI5Uv5cGU4&v=-...

Meirelles, Isabel (2013) Design for Information

http://ebookcentral.proquest.com.library.capella.edu/lib/capella/reader.action?docID=3399922

Since 200,000 BCE, humanity has spread around globe and enacted huge change upon the planet. This video shows every year of that story, right from the beginning. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Abriviations can be found in this document: ...
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 1 like
  • 1 in conversation