An off-topic spot to chat about your musings of the day

Career path for SAS programmer

Regular Contributor

Career path for SAS programmer

Hi All, I am sas programmer in financial sector and I am curious to know what are better next steps to take to advance my career.I want to know which technologies to learn which would help to improve my career as sas programmer. I would greatly appreciate if any one wants to share their ideas or experiences.
Super User

Re: Career path for SAS programmer

I think advice should be based on your profile and interests. 

What kind of a SAS programmer are you today?

What education do you have?

What get you spinning - syntax details, code optimization, business problems, overall IT/data architecture, statistical models, stunning user intefaces...

Data never sleeps
Regular Contributor

Hi Linush,

Thanks for your reply.

I currently work as base sas programmer and create excel & PDF reports.

I did my masters in computer science

I worked on code optimization, 1yr on sas administration.

I think I am intersted in optimization,SASBI & architecture.

Super User

Hi, sorry for late reply - but hopefully you still have long career ahead of you 😊

For optimization there is the SAS Programming 3 training, and if course experience.

SAS major BI offering is Visual Analytics so I would look into that. Hand in hand with taht you got Hadoop, there are plenty of free/cheap introductory training online.

If you masters didn't cover it, data modelling (3rd NF, dimensional, data vault etc).

If you want to work with data warehouse solutions there is no way around ETL, so DI Studio is the tool (or god forbid, another 3rd party one).
Data never sleeps
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation