An off-topic spot to chat about your musings of the day

A loss for the SAS community: Dr. Bob Hamer

Community Manager

A loss for the SAS community: Dr. Bob Hamer

I learned from my friends on SAS-L that we recently lost a long-time SAS contributor: Robert M. Hamer.  Bob passed away on December 28, 2015.

Hamer_2013.png

Bob served the SAS community in many ways.  He was the conference chair for SUGI 13 in 1988 -- the conference that we now call SAS Global Forum.  He was also a professor of Psychiatry and Biostatistics at UNC - Chapel Hill (one of our local universities near SAS HQ).  His name appears in the SAS documentation in many places as "work cited".  He also wrote the %INTRACC macro for intraclass correlation, available on the SAS support site.

He was a member of this online community too, but only as a lurker (no contributions, only reading content).  While I personally didn't have a lot of interaction with Bob (most of his work with SAS happened before my time), I can tell that long-time SAS users remember him and his contributions fondly.  It's a reminder that benefits of the SAS user community extend beyond just technical expertise, but also provide fruitful personal relationships.

Our condolences go out to Dr. Hamer's family and friends.

Trusted Advisor

Re: A loss for the SAS community: Dr. Bob Hamer

Thanks @ChrisHemedinger for sharing. What a lovely tribute and recognition of his involvement with the SAS community.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation