An off-topic spot to chat about your musings of the day

10 things you may not know about me: Darth Pathos :-)

Regular Contributor

10 things you may not know about me: Darth Pathos :-)

[ Edited ]

I'm totally stealing this from the various SAS Employees that have posted a similar article.  What are your top 10 things people here don't know about you?

• University - I graduated from the University of Guelph (in Ontario, Canada) with a Bachelor of Applied Sciences (Honours) in Child Studies.  I had to take statistics as part of the program and was horrible at it – we had to do ANOVAs and regression using nothing more than pencil, paper and a regular calculator.  (University was also where I met my wife J)
  • I always struggled with math; it wasn’t until 2000, when I started doing analysis, that everything sort of “clicked” – I realized having the real-world application helped everything make sense.
  • My first job was as a working for Canada’s largest telecommunications company (Bell Canada) when I was 17. I worked 1530-2300 Monday to Friday.  Our job was to print off long distance records for all companies in Ontario and Quebec, staple them, and put them into a file folder. We had one printer between 5 of us, and I remember being all excited when one of us had a report larger than 8kb (yes, kilobytes) as that would take about 3 hours to print – and we couldn’t do anything else, so we went for dinner!
  • I started off in databases and data analysis completely by accident – I wanted to figure out a way to catalogue the huge number of journal articles I had from university, and a friend recommended using Access (I had Access 95) and so I started designing and building.
  • When I was about 2 years old, my dad was working for Bell Canada and took a job in Saudi Arabia helping them set up their phone system; my mom and I moved there with him after about 6 months, and we lived there for about 2 years. We travelled all over the place – Thailand, Italy, France, Switzerland, England – and still have a lot of memories.
  • Music – I’m a huge fan of all sorts of music; from Rush to Puccini, Metalicca to Wu Tang Clan, Miranda Lambert to Gershwin, I’ve got a huge collection. The only type I’m not particularly fond of is “pop” – I’m not a fan of what can be classified as “Top 40”. 
  • I was vegetarian for 8 years and vegan for 2 just to “see if I could do it”. Switched back to meat when I was craving chicken parmagiana. 
  • I’m a runner (although it’s been a while…) – my personal best distance is 24 km (15 miles) in 2:10 – on the hottest day that summer, and I ran out of water. Yeah, that was an experience I’m never going to repeat.
  • The two “strangest” things about me – I wear specific pairs of socks on specific days. Fridays, I wear red socks and a shirt with red in it.  Second, when I’m eating a plate of food (say a burger, fries, and cole slaw) I’ll eat the cole slaw first, then the burger, then the fries.  I eat in order of my least favourite thing on the plate to my favourite. 
  • Miscellaneous – I like getting my haircut; I read like mad (longest book I’ve read was A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth); I’ve seen Star Wars (all 6 movies) at least 30 times (I do a marathon at least twice a year, 16 hours straight); and I love video games but am really bad at them.
Has my article or post helped? Please mark as Solution or Like the article!
Community Manager

Re: 10 things you may don't know about me: Darth Pathos :-)

Awesome list, Darth Pathos! Love learning a bit more about one my favorite peeps. :-)

You and my husband have two things in common: Rush and eating one thing at the time (least favorite to most favorite!)

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

...blush.......

Wow, I've never met someone who eats like I do. I'm usually judged :-) I also eat my salad without salad dressing - just straight veggies. (and the fact he likes Rush just made him that much cooler in my books!!)

Trusted Advisor

Nice to learn a little more about your @DarthPathos and looking forward to meeting you in person at SAS Global Forum and to "see" you beyond your avatar Smiley Wink.

FYI, the chicken parma is a favourite in Australia and there's a rating website - http://parma.com.au/

Regular Contributor

I knew there's a reason why I love Australia (though I've never been) - any country that dedicates a website to rating chicken parma is definitely somewhere I want to go :-)

So excited - my boss approved me to go to SGF and I'm giddy. Arriving Monday, leaving early Thursday, so we'll have to cram in as much as possible!
Trusted Advisor

Let me know if you do plan a trip to Australia. A MUST do is Lone Pine Koala sanctuary - one of my favourite places http://koala.net

SAS Global Forum is always a blast - an energetic, content explosive, thought-provoking event! Planning one agenda can be difficult with so many presentations, discussions, people to meet and things to do. I usually have a few daily schedules Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Michelle

P.S. And I have your #SASGF #TweetUp name label ready too! Will we see you in the costume @Rick_SAS proposed? Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

If i do come down, I'll try and schedule it around a SAS meeting - maybe I'll even do a presentation :-)
I was in Orlando in 2012 and loved it; also been a couple of NESUGs and had great times. Can't wait to see all the friends i've made in real life and online (you included!!)

Unless my wife gives me the OK to buy a Vader helmet, the outfit's doubtful - I may be able to get a couple of new star wars shirts, that'll have to suffice LOL
Community Manager

Fascinating list! Lots of interesting tidbits. You and I have eclectic music in common. My iPod has Beastie Boys, Metallica, Katy Perry, Eminem, Adele, Velvet Revolver, Gotye, The Killers...

Regular Contributor

Nice!! Beastie Boys, Adele, Velvet Revolver and Gotye also great bands. I've also got Mongolian metal bands, death metal, Native American / Inuit the list goes one and on....
Community Manager

What a great list, DarthPathos! I love that you borrowed the "10 things about you" theme.

My son also eats from least favorite to most favorite. He's five - no offense to you or your husband, Shelley! I find his ability to delay gratification and exhibit that control fascinating. It makes me think of something I heard of years ago - that a former CEO of JCPenny used to take out interviewees for lunch. If they salted their food before trying it, they didn't the job. A little extreme? Definitely. But an interesting consideration in eating behavior and psychology nonetheless.

Anna 

Community Manager

@AnnaBrown I read somewhere that a child's ability to delay gratification is associated with later success in life!

Community Manager

Oooh, I like that BeverlyBrown!
Regular Contributor

I'm wondering if I learned it as a child as a strategy to get the "yucky" stuff out of the way. I do the same with chores - do the worst first, working up to my favourite (idea being i'll be exhausted, so may as well do something I like...). Interesting psychology at play though! (And no offence taken - my joke is I make the mess of a two-year old, dress like an 8 year old and eat like a teenager Smiley Happy)
Community Manager

Yet one more thing you and my husband have in common, @DarthPathos: "I make the mess of a two-year old, dress like an 8 year old and eat like a teenager." Smiley Very Happy Now I have a good saying for him!

And no offense taken here, either, @AnnaBrown!

Community Manager

Re: 10 things you may not know about me: Darth Pathos :-)

Thanks for sharing @DarthPathos!

I have a daughter who eats like you do: least favorite to most favorite.  She also finishes a meal faster than anyone else I know.

Then I have another daughter who does the exact opposite: most favorite first.  Just in case an earthquake or tornado strikes and she doesn't get to finish everything on her plate.  She is also the family's slowest eater (and could win a contest if there was a "slowest eaters" competition), perhaps due to her prioritization approach.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 19 likes
  • 6 in conversation