BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Lainie,

Can the timeout on the user id be extended to that of the old SAS forums?  e.g. NEVER.

I am used to having the SAS Forums on line continously, and I wouild just go to the tab (in firefox) periodically to check for new content.  This login every few hours is a pain.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

15 REPLIES 15
Ksharp
Super User

Administrator:

Can you change the style of this forum back.

I prefer to use old style.

And For the new forum , I can not find which post I did not browse.

Thanks.

Ksharp

reneeharper
SAS Employee

Thanks to both of you for your comments on the new site.  We will be updating and refining settings based on user feedback and experience.

I will be looking into both of these and will post when I have an update.

Paige
Quartz | Level 8

I would also like to say that I absolutely hate having to log in each time I visit the forum. This was never necessary before.

Furthermore, there ought to be a way to allow Firefox or Internet Explorer to remember your password each time you visit, but somehow you have disabled this. This is absurd, even bank websites allow this. Lastly, the new login screen ought to remember my userID as many other forums do, so I don't have to type it in each time.

I must say that until these features are changed, I'm much less likely to use these forums.

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

Agree with Paige.

I am logged into the gloabl SAS site, yet I have to re-login to the forums/community each time I visit - Very annoying.

Barry

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I like the new communities site but I'd also be keen to see a longer timeout (days-weeks) or a non-expiring login.  I got a timeout whilst I was (slowly) writing a reply today - was very happy to see it kept my text though!

As a suggestion, perhaps there could be a user preference, where the default was a quick timeout as it is now, but a user could explicitly choose to have a long or non-expiring timeout if they know they have a secure browsing environment.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I'll add that I've typed half of a response, gotten interrupted, and by the time I finish the response and hit "Add Reply" I've been logged out! My response is now g-o-n-e. Nothing burns worse then spending a sizeable amount of time crafting a thoughtful reply, only to have it vanish into the ether.

PMroz
Fluorite | Level 6

Ditto to what everyone else has said.  There's no reason for this site to time people out.  Please set it to never time out.

Regards,

Peter

Paige
Quartz | Level 8

There is so much to dislike about the new setup, I don't even know where to begin. The timeout is an issue, but why can't we just have our browser remember our user-ID and password, like it does on many other discussion forum boards? Why do I have to log-in each time? Why can't we set our browser to remember our password? Why can't the boards show some indication of what threads have new material and what threads do not?

The way this new forum is set up, I just won't use the forums here much. Somehow, I think the purpose of having a forum is defeated if there are all these impediments to use.

reneeharper
SAS Employee

The timeout values have been changed. You should no longer experience the short time-out cycles that you were experiencing before. Please post back and let us know if this is better.

Thank you for your patience while we got this adjusted. We will continue to work on the issues and suggestions that you have made.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Thanks.  I did notice that the timeout was longer this evening and persisted when my DHCP connection changed.  Much improved.

hellind
Quartz | Level 8

Has the time out just been increased or can we have the option of "NEVER"?

Paige
Quartz | Level 8

Hellind ... "NEVER", just like every other discussion forum???? That's a great idea. What do you think, SAS? What

And by the way, SAS folks, what about the other complaints that have been lodged about the new bulletin boards? Are we going to see any changes there?

reneeharper
SAS Employee

The timeout settings are part of a larger security model for the sas.com web sites.  I have asked the security team to review the 'never' request.  I'll post updates as I get them.

As for logging in to support.sas.com and communities.sas.com.... We are transitioning from an older security/profile model to a newer one.  The communities.sas.com site uses the newer model.  Until all of the sites and applications are migrated to the new model, we have consistent sign-on, but not single sign-on. We understand how this can be annoying and are continually working to improve this experience.  Note that some applications may always require you to 're-login' in order to verify who you are and to protect your data and access.

You can find a short article about the new profile in this blog post by Marci Russell.

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Renee,

We can appreciate your security team's desire for consistency.  However, they should not be making the strategic decisions.  Most of the things mentioned in Marci's article are very low risk activities.  Perhaps you should do the risk assessment and assign some of the pieces of the security model based on that.  For instance,

The activities involving money (e-learning, software orders) may need user authentication each time but those with just reputational risk for the user (and virtually no marginal risk for SAS) could allow the 'never' timeout.

At the very least, you could retain the user-id's.  Mine is very long (as my name is very long), so it is a pain to type each time.  I also have 4 different e-mails for work and sometimes must use one over another and retaining would save a few gray-matter memory cycles.

Thanks,

Doc

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 9 in conversation