surveylogistic, logistic and weight

New Contributor

surveylogistic, logistic and weight

Hi,  I have two questions about surveylogistic procedure and weight statement.

First, I am doing analysis national data by using logistic regression(binary dependent).

I want to use 'sampling weight' but my data sets don't have 'strata' and 'cluster' variabels.

In my situation, what should I do? should I use proc logistic procedure? Or can I use 'proc surveylogistic' procedure with weight variable(but without strata and(or) cluster variables)?

Second, in 'proc logistic' procedure, what does 'weight' statement mean? Does 'weight' mean 'frequency weight'?

I really wonder about weight statement's meaning in SAS.

And I really hope your help and opinion!! Thank you!

SAS Employee

Re: surveylogistic, logistic and weight

Hi Chris - I am going to move your post/question to our SAS Procs community and someone will be able to help you out there.

Thanks

Jennifer

Trusted Advisor

Hi,

Proc logistic weights each obs in input data by the value of weight variable. When you a binary variable in your data set, you have actually two strata (1 and 0). So you can apply weights to these strata based on weight variable calculated for class 1 and class 0.

New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

If I unerstand correlty(I hope so), Does your answer mean that I can use 'proc surveylogistic' with weight variable(but without strata and cluster variables)?

Many thanks!!

Trusted Advisor

Hi,

Sampling weights are used to calibrate parameter estimates calculated based on a sample. Just check proportion of 1's and 0's in your population data and compare them with sample proportions. This will provide a baseline to create weight variable that can be used in proc logistic. Hope this helps,

Thanks,

New Contributor

Perhaps this is off topic,but can you tell me if SAS University has the survey specific proc functions (like proc surveylogistic)?   Thanks, David

Trusted Advisor

Hi,

I am not sure about that.

Super User

Proc Survey and surveylogistic are both under SAS Stat, so yes they are available for SAS UE.

New Contributor

Thank you Reeza! I didn;t want to spend all of the time and effort to download SAS UE if it didn't have these functions.  Hopefully the programs I wrote and ran on SAS 9.2 will run smoothly in SAS UE.  Any tips you have on transitioning to SAS UE from 9.2?

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation