state planes coordinate system, utm

Contributor

state planes coordinate system, utm

[ Edited ]

I'm getting school district boundaries from NYC, from here

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/data-maps/open-data/districts-download-metadata.page

These boundaries are in the state plane coordinate system.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/State_Plane_Coordinate_System/003r0000...

I'd like to know how to translate these files to UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) or latitude/longitude. Can SAS do that? I don't mean converting coordinates one at a time, but whole sets all at once.

Thanks

SAS Employee

Re: state planes coordinate system, utm

Perhaps you can use Proc GPROJECT PROJECT=PROJ4 (in SAS/GRAPH).  There is a TO= and a FROM= in it.  I do not know specifically what is the State Planes but you can Google "PROJ4" and "State Plane" and get more information.

Contributor

Thanks. There is a lot on the SAS site about gproject, but unfortunately I can't find anything about the state plane coordinate system. Thanks though.

SAS Employee

PROJ4 is an external projection that supports lots of cordinate systems.  It only tells you the basics of using PROJ4 on the SAS site and how to use PROJ4 in GPROJECT.  It does not tell you all about PROJ4.  You need to google PROJ4 and STATE PLANE on the External site to find out about PROJ4.

Contributor

As odd as it seems, I searched through the SAS website and could not find "state plane". Could that mean SAS does not translate from state plane system to lat/long?

Respected Advisor

A Proj 4 projection is defined by a set of parameters. The sashelp.proj4def dataset contains the definition for the following "State Plane" projections

ESRI:102315    NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane New York East FIPS 3101

ESRI:102316    NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane New York Central FIPS

ESRI:102317    NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane New York West FIPS 3103

ESRI:102318    NAD 1983 HARN StatePlane New York Long Island

FIPS 3104

ESRI:102715    NAD 1983 StatePlane New York East FIPS 3101 Feet

ESRI:102716    NAD 1983 StatePlane New York Central FIPS 3102

Feet

ESRI:102717    NAD 1983 StatePlane New York West FIPS 3103 Feet

ESRI:102718    NAD 1983 StatePlane New York Long Island FIPS

3104 Feet

PG