sas metadata server error

Occasional Contributor

sas metadata server error

Hi

I am getting an error while opening sas base:

Error states that : NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.PROFILE. WORK.PROFILE will be opened instead.

I have recently recovered sas metadata server , i think i have some issues with the rights on the config files.

Can anyone help me on this ...Urgent reply requested ....

Super User

Re: sas metadata server error

Posted in reply to DinnarHooda

This is not critical. The first SAS process for a given user opens the SASUSER.PROFILE with exclusive access, so any following process for the same user has to work with a temporary PROFILE. PROFILE is mainly used to store settings for Base SAS (display manager, function keys etc), so it is unproblematic to discard this information at the end of the session.

Also see 13803 - "NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.PROFILE. WORK.PROFILE will be opened instead" in UNIX environm...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super User

PS This is a NOTE, not an ERROR, and will not cause an exit condition <> 0 at session end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to KurtBremser

unfortunately this user access is creating erros in making other servers up. I am unable to start all the servers esp those which are dependent on metadata servers.

Super User

If this is part of the Metadata Server Log, it indicates that a SAS session is underway already under the same userid that is used to start the Metadata Server. Locate this process and kill it.

I still do not believe that this NOTE is the root cause for your problems, because SASUER.PROFILE is needed for interactive SAS and the SAS process for the Metadata Server runs in (more or less) batch mode without display manager or a terminal interface. If the Metadata Server does not start (or terminates immediately), you need to read through the whole log file.

Occasional Contributor

check my logs attached herewith

Attachment
Super User

It shows that the Metadata Server has correctly started and is handling requests. It also shows rejected attempts by user sastrust@saspw. This lets me think that other SAS processes (ie Object Spawner) have a wrong password for sastrust in their configuration and can therefore not communicate with the Metadata Server.

Look in the Lev1/ObjectSpawner/metadataConfig.xml file that you will find in your configuration tree

(/home/xxxxx/SAS/context/Lev1/ObjectSpawner)

xxxxx is the user ID used to install SAS, context is something like ebiserver (Enterprise Business Intelligence Server)

Trusted Advisor

it is not only sastrust@saspw in error but also sasadm@saspw.   Are these defined correctly?

It is looking is a first attempt to install BI/DI where there is a failure in the setup and now wondering what has failed.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Super User

Yes, it looks like all the passwords for internal accounts are wrong. That for the external sasadm account seems to be OK.

Question to the OP:

Was sasadm used for the installation of the SAS system?

Occasional Contributor

Yes we have used the same id for the installation and other configurations.

What i feel is there is something wrong with the rights on the file storing these IDs, on starting the server the process is unable to read that file because of rights issue.

Any idea which file may have such access issues?? Especially in metadata server folder.

Super User

To clarify: the Metadata Server has no problems and works OK.

The subservers and object spawner also seem to be able to read their configuration files (or they would not try to contact the metadata server), but they most likely have incorrect entries for the sastrust user/password in the configuration.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation