sas hardware suggestion ?

New Contributor

sas hardware suggestion ?

Hi,

im new to here,because my friend ask me to help him setup a new pc to run the SAS smoothly,

1. about the cpu,how about i5 or i7 four core ?

2. about the ram,is 16 GB enough ? or will 32GB get better performance alot ?

3. the most important part is storage,

(option1) 500GB SSD to install windows7 and sas,and save the files on another HDD(ST2000NM0053)

(option2) use a HDD(ST2000NM0053) to install windows7 and sas,and save the files on another 500GB SSD.

(option3) use 128GB SSD to install windows7 and sas,and save the files on another 500GB SSD.

i think option3 will be better,but i worry if the 128GB and 500GB SSD are very enough to run the SAS and store it's data.

may you please give me some suggestion ?

thank you.

Respected Advisor

Re: sas hardware suggestion ?

SAS foundation will run on very basic setups. The question usually is not whether SAS will run, rather, if the hardware will meet your SAS job requirements, such as the turn-around time. Here is example for Windows 64bit,

http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikfdtnwx6sr/66390/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

Examples are Windows 7 and Windows 8.

A minimum of 2 cores

2 GB RAM (available to SAS)

Swap space: 1.5 times physical RAM or 250 GB, whichever is less

Please note the highlighted part, 'available to SAS', meaning you need to set this up in your SAS config file, SAS can only use this much of RAM regardless of size of your physical RAM.

Personally I like option1 (for firing up fast), but considering the cost, option3 is also doable, just make sure reroute your  WORK library to another storage. System + SAS, depending on your deployment, could take as much as 50G+ of storage, that leaves less than 70G for everything else, a little tight to me.  

Haikuo

New Contributor

Hi,

1. about my three options,which one will get best peformance ?

2. i know the minimum needing,but my friend hope to get better performance,because he use Q6600/4GB RAM/128GB SSD to install os/1TB HDD to store data,he feel the speed is not pretty good and think to setup a new one,

and i also find the article https://communities.sas.com/message/170714#170714

i wonder how to setup a better hardware spec and get better performance.

thank you.

Respected Advisor

Some homework may need to be done to hopefully nail down the bottleneck of the SAS jobs to be run. Is it computing (CPU) , in-memory swapping (RAM) or I/O (faster HD/SSD). As a general rule not limited to SAS, if you need to read in/write out huge file constantly, then investing on SSD or Raid will help; if you need do a lot computation (such as those Procs for modeling), large RAM will help a lot. Also, like I mentioned, proper hardware is the first step, configging it properly for SAS is even more important.

Performance is a vague term. A specific setup better for job A is not necessarily better for job B. To get down to your question, if your job needs a lot memory, why not make it 32G? I think SSD is as good as you can get (if not going for SSD Raid in a desktop environment) for your I/O issues.

Haikuo

Super User

No answers can be given without information about data, and what performance you expect. What will be the biggest datasets (including what will be the structure of those datasets), which joins will be made, what analytics tools will be used (a setup with SAS Studio or Web Report Studio will need additional resources for the web application server).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super User

It's also worth considering what can be upgraded now and what can't be upgraded in the future.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation