sas connect from EG

Accepted Solution Solved
Valued Guide
Accepted Solution

sas connect from EG

I am using Enterprise Guide but have an active SAS/Connect license.  I have been trying to look up how to connect to my local computer without PC/SAS but am not haveing any luck.  Can I use:

filename rlink

options comamid = TCP REMOTE

To then be able to use proc import or proc upload via EG?  If so any help with syntax will help.

Thank You,

Mark 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎11-20-2014 02:45 PM
Valued Guide

Re: sas connect from EG

I have pc/sas and can use a proc import there, does that mean I have sas/connect on my local pc?  I'd like to be able connect EG to my local computer.  Searching the internet it looks like this is an option but I cannot get it to work.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super Contributor

Hi:

You need SAS/Connect on your local PC as well.  SAS\Connect establishes a connection between 2 SAS sessions.

Solution
‎11-20-2014 02:45 PM
Valued Guide

I have pc/sas and can use a proc import there, does that mean I have sas/connect on my local pc?  I'd like to be able connect EG to my local computer.  Searching the internet it looks like this is an option but I cannot get it to work.

Super Contributor

Hi:

Proc import is not related to SAS/Connect, but proc upload and proc download are - to use them you have to have SAS/Connect on

both systems - which usually means a SA/Base install.

Valued Guide

Eguide is a client and you SAS/base local installed is a server service in Windows when installed that way. It uses MS_com.

No need to mention SAS/Connect, that one is for connecting SAS/base systems on different machines.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Super User

What are you trying to achieve by using SAS/CONNECT? If it is simply to upload or download SAS datasets between your PC and your SAS server then there are already tasks in EG for that. Have a look on your EG menu under Tasks ==> Data.

Super User

Aside from the tips others gave you, be aware that SAS/CONNECT without SAS/SECURE works without encryption, therefore it is as unsafe as standard telnet. You can set up a SSH tunnel and work over that, but it needs additional config work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Super Contributor

Kurt         

Encryption is used by default in SAS/Connect in 9.4 and can be user selected in 9.3

Valued Guide

Kurt, I am convinced there is no need for the SAS/secure license when securing Connect/Share as those are using to low level features tcp/ip for that.

Nowhere is the requirement for SAS/Secure mentioned Communications Access Methods for SAS/CONNECT(R) 9.2 and SAS/SHARE(R) 9.2.

The encryption level is a difference SAS(R) 9.2 Intelligence Platform: Security Administration Guide (AES in SAS/secure).

As the SAS/secure is integrated in the based license in 9.4 it is not an important topic to discuss of the included parts.

It should be done and integrated in all.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation