replacing missing data with zero values

New Contributor

replacing missing data with zero values

Dear all,

I need your help. Is it correct to replace missing values with zero values in a data set? Might it change the results of the entire analysis?

Please answer asap

many thanks

Francesca

Trusted Advisor

Re: replacing missing data with zero values

In general, it is not a good idea to replace missings with zeros, specifically because it can change the results of the analysis.

In some situations, a missing might be reasonably interpreted as a zero.  For instance, if you have a check-box for an attribute that you might code as a 1 if present.  Then coding the non-presence as a 0 would be appropriate.  As a best practice, that should be a design decision rather an an analysis one.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

New Contributor

Hi Duke,

thanks for replying. I have numerical values and I cannot discriminate them with presence, non-presence (1, 0). My problem is that not having values in some of my columns JMP cannot analyse a blocking as request because the count of values is unequal. 

JMP bloking.PNG

I would like to understand how to deal with these missing values considering a block as random effect.

Thanks

Francesca

Trusted Advisor

You should repost to the JMP forum.  I don't use JMP, so I can't help you on the specifics of your question.

New Contributor

Hi Duke

thanks, and sorry about that. I didn't realize that Smiley Wink

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation