reading an oracle database directly from sas

I have the following information i  use to connect to an oracle database,

it is succssful through sqldeveloper and vb.net,

However, it fails with SAS. The SAS Statement is also below

mat1 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS =
       (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mid2-scan)(PORT = 1539))

)

(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME=mat1))

)

username

password

SAS libname i use is

libname oralib oracle user="username" password="password" path="mat1" schema="mat1";

The error message i get is

"the oracle engine cannot be found"

"error in the libname statement"

I have been access the oracle database through "sqldeveloper", i have SAS/ACCESS installed

I don't know what to next, i have tried google but not good way through

Do i have to do anything with the port, and host

Anthony

Super User

Re: reading an oracle database directly from sas

You need to have the SQL*NET client installed on the machine where SAS executes.

Data never sleeps
Occasional Contributor

Thank you LinusH,

The Database guys here tell me that by the time i am able to access the oracle database through sqldeveloper and vb.net i have SQL*NET installed already. Is there a way i can test if it is installed, i have downloaded a "intallclient-sqlplus-nt-11.2.0.30". When i run it to intall sql plus it asks me for user name and password and i dont know waht to put. the database guys tell me i dont need to install anything

Anthony

Super User

make sure that your user has authorization to run the Oracle module:

41034 - "Error: Connection to Oracle not found" when using SAS/ACCESS® Interface to Oracle on Window...

Also, make sure that the PATH env variable contains the search path to ORACLE_HOME/bin.

Since this is not a standard client set up, you could create a ticket to SAS tech support, to help you verify your installation/configuration.

Data never sleeps
Super Contributor

We have to have the oracle client on our system to connect to our oracle database through SAS (we also have a TNS file to pass additional options for offsite database). Your syntax for the libname looks correct. I would verify your local oracle install, verify you have the right SAS/ACCESS product installed (for oracle), verify your specific stuff (userid, passwd, path, schema). If all that checks out, submit a ticket with SAS.

EJ

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation