BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
scan
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello community,

I'm trying to read an excel file (xls or xlsx) generated with Excel 64 bit using SAS 9.2 32bit, with poor results.

Basically I googled some information about this specific task, but I end up finding information only related to the inverse problem that could be easily solved with the package SAS PC FILES SERVER (reading 32bit documents with SAS 64 bit), using as engine EXCELCS or other.
I actually own the SAS PC FILES SERVER and it seems it is correctly installed and working on my SAS machine, running the proc setinit.

But this seems unable to solve the problem described in this topic.

Any solution?

Many thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
scan
Obsidian | Level 7

thank you Kurt for your interest,

I tried many engines, as well as the internal guided procedure for import but the log response is:

ERROR: Connect: Class not registered

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@scan wrote:

thank you Kurt for your interest,

I tried many engines, as well as the internal guided procedure for import but the log response is:

ERROR: Connect: Class not registered

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

That usually comes from a missing (not installed) or non-licensed module.

The most stable way to import data from Excel is to save from Excel to a text-based format and read that with a data step.

Advantages:

Saved data can be inspected with a simple text editor

No licenses beyond Base SAS needed

Will work with future Excel versions, no matter what the idiots in Redmond cobble together

scan
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you Kurt,

I'm in a  situation in which I can't convert these files to another format.

Do you know the name of the product you're saying is not licensed?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@scan wrote:

Thank you Kurt,

I'm in a  situation in which I can't convert these files to another format.

Do you know the name of the product you're saying is not licensed?

Open with Excel, File - Save As, select csv as file type.

If you don't have Excel, the free Libreoffice will do the trick.

As for the product, it is SAS/ACCESS to PC Files

Since you're still on 9.2, the xlsx format may not be supported yet.

Which operating system is SAS running on?

scan
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks,

OS is W7, SAS/ACCESS to PC Files is present according to the setinit.

Neither the xsl without the x can be imported, if it is generated with a 64bit excel framework.

Any solution?

rogerjdeangelis
Barite | Level 11

If you have the IML interface to R you should be able to paste theis code into IML.

* create a 32 bit excel workbook with sheet have;
%utlfkil(d:/xls/have.xlsx); * delete if exists;
libname xel "d:/xls/have.xlsx";
data xel.have;
  set sashelp.class;
run;quit;
libname xel clear;

* import 32bit sheet have;
%utl_submit_r64('
library(rio); library(foreign); have <-import("d:/xls/have.xlsx"); write.dta(have, "d:/dta/want.dta"); '); * import to SAS; proc import out=want file='d:\dta\want.dta' replace; ;run;quit; proc print data=want; run;quit; Obs NAME SEX AGE HEIGHT WEIGHT 1 Alfred M 14 69.0 112.5 2 Alice F 13 56.5 84.0 3 Barbara F 13 65.3 98.0 4 Carol F 14 62.8 102.5 5 Henry M 14 63.5 102.5 6 James M 12 57.3 83.0 7 Jane F 12 59.8 84.5 8 Janet F 15 62.5 112.5 9 Jeffrey M 13 62.5 84.0 10 John M 12 59.0 99.5 11 Joyce F 11 51.3 50.5 12 Judy F 14 64.3 90.0 13 Louise F 12 56.3 77.0 14 Mary F 15 66.5 112.0 15 Philip M 16 72.0 150.0 16 Robert M 12 64.8 128.0 17 Ronald M 15 67.0 133.0 18 Thomas M 11 57.5 85.0 19 William M 15 66.5 112.0
rogerjdeangelis
Barite | Level 11

It should also work with 32bit SAS and 64 or 32 bit excel.

SOAPBOX ON

I wish SAS would stop promoting 32bit SAS, I think SAS stopped promoting 16bit WIn31 SAS?

SOAPBOX OFF

ballardw
Super User

Show the code you used and the log.

scan
Obsidian | Level 7

no IML interface to R here.

I'll post the code in a while, but I've just generated a simple xls document with excel 64 and tried the guided procedure to import.

Then I tried a lot of different engines found on the web such as excelcs excel xls and so on. The log was always the same as reported some post ago.
Will return here in a while, anyway.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Just think of the time you already wasted trying to get the Excel file format to work. Saving to csv and importing that would have solved your problem in a moment.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation