re-login to communities.sas.com on every visit - annoying

Regular Contributor

Hi,

My login to communities.sas.com is not persisted over browser sessions, I have to re-login everytime, which is somewhat annoying.

More annoying is that the username and password fields are not recognized by my browser or my password manager (lastpass) so I have to re-type them every time.

Can this be fixed?

-Bart

PROC Star

I agree, but don't know a way around it.  Maybe Renee does.  I think the forum uses the same engine that drives sas.Community.org and it doesn't require one to login every time.

Trusted Advisor

This forum uses Jive Community software with ForgeRock OpenAM providing the authentication.  It is a far more complicated setup than the system utilized by MediaWiki, which sasCommunity.org run on.  The OpenAM layer is probably where is this issue is occuring.  Probably because it is not allowing for persistent cookies, or they have the persistent cookie maximum time set extrememly low.  I'm sure everyone on the forum would really appreciate being able to persist their login session after restarting their browers.

Respected Advisor

Couldn't agree more and would like to have this changed as well.

SAS Employee

Hi Guys,

As you may have noticed, in early January, we went from using consistent login credentials with support.sas.com to honoring the login across the sites (single signon).  That should be a plus for those of you who manage Tech Support tracks, are using the self-paced elearning or submit a lot of tech support forms. 

I am in and out of both sites so frequently, that this particular problem doesn't really show up to me.  Can you provide me a bit more information that I can pass on to development? You can post here or send mail to communities.admin@sas.com.  A few things that I would like to hear specifically:

• Is the problem with timeout values (which I think we fixed) or with closing the browser then opening in another browser window later?
  • Did this behavior start recently (early January) or have you experienced it all along?

Thanks!

Trusted Advisor

Renee,

Just for the record, I do not experience the time-out problem that the others have reported.  My sessions times out every night (at some time), but I go in and out throughout the day without having to re-login.  That includes both after restarting my Firefox browser and after rebooting my XP laptop.

I do agree with Bart, "More annoying is that the username and password fields are not recognized by my browser or my password manager (lastpass) so I have to re-type them every time.", but it's more tolerable at once-a-day.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

Super Contributor

I use IE browser. I need to log in after restarting IE.

PROC Star

Renee,

I'm on Google Chrome and the issue for me is purely with closing and reopening the browser.  The forums are one of my regularly open windows.

Trusted Advisor

Renee,

This issue will only occur when you completely leave a browser and then re-open it, not just close a window while others are still open.  It is a configurable feature of the CDSSO (Cross-Domain Single Sign-on) SAS is using.  I can confirm it occurs with IE and Chrome on Windows and FireFox on Linux.  It also occurs on the ticket tracker for teh support.

Thanks for working to get this updated for us all!

Regular Contributor

happens on close and reopen of any browser on any SAS support webpage.

Frequent Contributor

The is a login related question.  I would like to be able to change my e-mail address without setting up a new login at SAS.

Is there a way I can do that?

SAS Employee

If you need to change your email address, send a note to SASProfileHelp@sas.com.  Include your old and new email addresses in the message.  We'll take care of it from there.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 8 in conversation