"Rename of Temporary Member failed" Problem under Fusion/Windows

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

"Rename of Temporary Member failed" Problem under Fusion/Windows

I've run SAS under Windows and VMWare Fusion for a number of years, using a networked drive under our university system to store data.

When updating to the most recent versions of Fusion and Mac OS X, we now get a critical error whenever we try to update an existing data set i.e.,

1    data data14.alc14c;

2     set data14.alc14c;run;

NOTE: There were 122 observations read from the data set DATA14.ALC14C.

NOTE: The data set DATA14.ALC14C has 122 observations and 96 variables.

ERROR: Rename of temporary member for DATA14.ALC14C.DATA failed.

File may be found in q:\kliff\Wave 14\data14.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           5.08 seconds

cpu time            1.73 seconds

We've been limping along with our older version of Fusion and Windows XP for a while now, but this obviously won't do.  I *think* the problem is in some way related to how fusion/windows handles the directory service 'locks' on our network, but don't know enough about the network to know more.  Also, because the problem lies at the interface of SAS, Fusion, Windows, and our University's network service, its got our group stymied. 

Although this has been a problem for a while, it remains under the most recent versions of OS X Mavericks, Fusion, Windows 7 and Sas 9.3 (64-bit).

Any suggestions for solutions or ways to diagnose the problem?  I'm also happy to pass ideas on to our network group who have far more network expertise than I do.

Thanks,

Joe Allen

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-17-2014 02:37 PM
Occasional Contributor

Re: "Rename of Temporary Member failed" Problem under Fusion/Windows

Problem solved: Needed to connect to the network drive directly from within Windows (previously had been connecting via the mac, and then sharing via fusion, and somewhere in there something got glitchy or stopped working).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Since you state "When updating to the most recent versions of Fusion and Mac OS X, we now get a critical error" it looks like either or both of those pieces of software are the actual cause.

A simple work around is not to update using the code:

Data dataset;

set dataset;

Every project I inherited that used that type of code actually had unoticed errors.

I would have the data step write to either a  work or other library and then use proc datasets to copy the data to the permanent library.

Or examine the use of UPDATE and a transaction dataset instead of SET.

Occasional Contributor

I appreciate the advice (and am glad to have found someone else who's faced something similar at least).  My problem is I have hundreds of active sas programs with multiple data and set statements in each program, updated by a rotating crew of graduate students, so a wholesale editing of all this code would be difficult to say the least. 

Super User

It maybe that there is some setting in Fusion that is treating the file as locked by default when opened for read, or maybe a permission in the folder where the library resides. I know that I had a heck of a time migrating to Windows Vista with older programs that wanted to put data in folders subsiderary to the program folder but the OS marked all of the folders and subfolders under the default Programs folder where the apps were installed as read only.

Occasional Contributor

That seems possible.  Experimenting a bit more I find that the system won't let SAS replace ANY file on the network drive.  It can create new files but not replace old ones.  That suggests that some part of the sas/windows/fusion/network system is locking existing files in some way, but not the directory in which they reside.

Solution
‎04-17-2014 02:37 PM
Occasional Contributor

Problem solved: Needed to connect to the network drive directly from within Windows (previously had been connecting via the mac, and then sharing via fusion, and somewhere in there something got glitchy or stopped working).

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation