BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
frupaul
Quartz | Level 8

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question on the use of proc sql. I am trying to create the data set below. It is a list of variables from one of the tables I work with (original table contains 50variables). I have used a data set with an infile statement to create this, saving it in a permanent library. However, when it gets saved in a permanent library, the ordering of the values change, and get sorted in ascending order. However, I have noticed that when a temporary table is created instead with data and infile statements, it is sorted as expected.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 17.19.43.png

source code:

data Axis.Field_names;
length Variables $25;
input Variables $;
cards;
Tenure
Family_Size
Monthly_Rents
;

How can I save it in a permanent location without altering the ordering of the values?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Something must be changing the order. Perhaps you saved it into something other than a SAS dataset?  Like a external database?

Perhaps the way you are viewing/printing the value is sorting them.

If you need to preserve the original order then you should create a variable that does that.

data Axis.Field_names;
  length Varnum 8 Variable $25;
  Varnum+1;
  input Variable $;
cards;
Tenure
Family_Size
Monthly_Rents
;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User
Never seen that happen. Please post your full code.
frupaul
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Reeza,

Code is posted in initial Message.

When I use data statement- Data temporary_table - it arranges the values as expected. 

When i use datastatement - Date permanant_table - it stores them in a permanent table and rearranges values alphabetically.

Reeza
Super User

@frupaul wrote:

Hi Reeza,

When I use data statement- Data temporary_table - it arranges the values as expected. 

When i use datastatement - Date permanant_table - it stores them in a permanent table and rearranges values alphabetically.

Your title says PROC SQL and I don't see any PROC SQL code in this thread.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@frupaul wrote:

Hi Reeza,

NO.WAY.

In a

data want;
set have;
run;

the internal order of variables in the dataset is kept as is.

if you think differently, post your WHOLE code you are using to create the permanent table.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Something must be changing the order. Perhaps you saved it into something other than a SAS dataset?  Like a external database?

Perhaps the way you are viewing/printing the value is sorting them.

If you need to preserve the original order then you should create a variable that does that.

data Axis.Field_names;
  length Varnum 8 Variable $25;
  Varnum+1;
  input Variable $;
cards;
Tenure
Family_Size
Monthly_Rents
;
Reeza
Super User
If these are variable values then there is no order enforced and SQL does not guarantee to maintain any order. If these are variable names of a data set they will remain in order. SASHELP.VCOLUMN has a list of all the variable names/labels/types that can be used for these types of exercises including a variable Number to help with ordering exercises. If you need a specific order of variable values you have to enforce it with a sort, though a data step will not change the order AFAIK.
Reeza
Super User

Run this and post the output. 
If what you're saying is happening, the compare will not be equal. Otherwise, you have some other issue.

data class;
set sashelp.class;
run;

libname demo 'C:\_localdata\temp\';

data demo.class;
set class;
run;

proc sql;
create table demo.class2 as
select *
from class;
quit;

proc compare data=demo.class compare=demo.class2;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation