BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

It might be because of the hour and that I'm quickly losing interest in the topic, or maybe this is a legit question.  I am combining two datasets with proc sql, through the variables being added I have a.region and b.region, should region be kept from both original datasets or will a.region overide?  This is a left join by the way.

I am finishing a project with three seperate pieces of code coming together to form a complete project, I keep running into ways of writing that I would not do.  I want the variables that are from both original datasets to remain but that doesn't seem to be happening.  I'm trying to do this without rewriting everything but I'm not sure that will be an option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Unless you use the ... as ... clause in the select, SAS/PROC SQL will complain about the variable already being there. In that case, the variable that appears first in the select statement will be the one in the output dataset, further ones with the same name will be discarded.

If you want both values, do something like:

select

a.region as a_region,

b.region as b_region,

from ......

;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Unless you use the ... as ... clause in the select, SAS/PROC SQL will complain about the variable already being there. In that case, the variable that appears first in the select statement will be the one in the output dataset, further ones with the same name will be discarded.

If you want both values, do something like:

select

a.region as a_region,

b.region as b_region,

from ......

;

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

Thanks Kurt, that helps.  I have changed region to regiona, my intent is to add one dataset at the end with rename=(regiona=region).  There are several variables that I have done this with, it is my thought that this will consolidate all of those variables for the final dataset.  Do you agree?

I'm at a client site and cannot test this right now is why I ask.

Thanks,

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

As soon as you need to merge datasets where a certain variable is present in more than one source dataset, you need to make a conscious decision how to handle the data contained in the various instances of the variable.

In your case, you need to decide which value (region_a or region_b) you want in region. A simple rename will once again make the data step (or sql) see multiple instances of the same variable, with interesting/unpredictable results.

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

This dataset will go to tableau for reporting purposes, the request is that all of these variables will be uniform between all products (medigap,HMO) so reports can be run and subsetted across products.  Does that make sense?  Is there an easy solution for that?

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

There are several pieces of code that are coming together, that's where I come in.  I'm finalizing the code and want everything coming from different sources to have the same variables.  I hope that helps make it clear.

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

So I'm now processing the last datastep like this:

if regiona <> '' then region = regiona;

drop regiona;

do you agree with that logic?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Yes, something like this makes sense.

You could also take a look at the coalesce() function in sql to select the first non-missing value of a list of variables/values.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation