BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
swathi123
Obsidian | Level 7

I am confused in which cases we see output in results window/ output window.. following is my program. Wondering why i didnt see any output in the output window- but saw results in results window..

Pls help. Thanks

data test;

infile cards dlm=',@';

input accno acname $ balancce;

cards;

200000,Sara,20000

456000@Lisa@39000

;

proc print data=test;

run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi Swati,

its strange! i executed the same code and i get the output in the output window.

I believe in case of proc report , we tend to get the results in the results window.

could you please check my closing your session and again executing the same in a new session.

Thanks,

Jag

Thanks,
Jag

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi Swati,

its strange! i executed the same code and i get the output in the output window.

I believe in case of proc report , we tend to get the results in the results window.

could you please check my closing your session and again executing the same in a new session.

Thanks,

Jag

Thanks,
Jag
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Normally you have 3 windows to think on, that are: editor (input) , log , output.
With the more advanced approaches a lot is added  (library files) or duplicated.

The results window is more a pointer to a lot of gathered output-windows. I do not see a results-window  with Eguide or Studio just with base/foundation.

The output window can be bypassed for performance reasons. Sometimes is is waiting for you to some interaction on the first page (enter) sometimes in classic usage. That behavior will change dependent on the output type. The results windows can be bypassed for that (ods noresults).   

Aside some erroneous effects there is nothing to bother when keep thinking in the old way of that 3 screens.

SAS(R) 9.4 Companion for Windows, Third Edition

---->-- ja karman --<-----
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Just to add, for proc report, adding the nowd option to the proc report will prevent the output window.  I find the output/results windows just to be annoying, wrap a simple ods statement in, then close the output window and results window, only need log then.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

The "Output Window" is where LISTING results get displayed. If you want to see your output from PROC PRINT, PROC REPORT, PROC MEANS, etc in the OUTPUT window, then the ODS LISTING destination must be turned ON. By default, starting with SAS 9.3, the LISTING window is turned OFF. The "Results Window" or Results Viewer Window is where your ODS HTML, ODS RTF and ODS PDF output will appear. In SAS 8, SAS 9, SAS 9.1.3 and SAS 9.2, the Results Viewer Window only displayed output when you clicked on an icon for HTML, RTF, etc in the Results pane. But starting with 9.3, when the LISTING destination (and thus the OUTPUT Window) was turned off, the HTML destination was turned ON. This means that all ODS output either goes to the Results Window (if you take the default and leave the HTML destination turned on) or goes to the system viewer for viewing output (for example, clicking on PDF may launch Acrobat Reader, clicking on RTF may launch Word).

To see output appear in the OUTPUT Window, you only need to turn the LISTING destination back on:

ODS LISTING;

before any output. If you want to turn off the automatic display of output in the Results Viewer Window, then turn all ODS destinations off:

ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;

cynthia

swathi123
Obsidian | Level 7

All,

I figured out that I need to go to preferences and change the way output window looks from HTML to Create listings.. Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation